German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   New behavior on his Birthday (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/462241-new-behavior-his-birthday.html)

JagerBomb 06-19-2014 07:53 PM

New behavior on his Birthday

So my little guy just turned a year old today. His new behavior is not wanting to get into the car. He is fine and then when he sees me near the car he starts to buck and pull back on the leash. Later today I was at the petstore and he did not want to leave the store doing the same thing like the car bucking and pulling back hard. He did that 3-5 times before I could finally leave the store. It was annoying and embarrassing since he has never done it before. Any idea why he would do this. Again it just started happening and this is right out of nowhere. He never showed signs of this.

He is not a rescue dog, he well mannered, and very well behaved with good social skills.

Thanks for the help.

simba405 06-19-2014 08:34 PM

Do you use Ecollar?

lauren43 06-19-2014 09:37 PM

What kind of car do you have? What is your dogs favorite treat or toy? Make a game of it while you are at home. If you have a car open both doors and run though it and play play. Tug and play. If you have a truck just reward getting in and out of the back. Or you could even go out and feed him dinner in the back of the car (with the door open of course)..

JagerBomb 06-19-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simba405 (Post 5665977)
Do you use Ecollar?

No e-collar used

JagerBomb 06-19-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauren43 (Post 5666225)
What kind of car do you have? What is your dogs favorite treat or toy? Make a game of it while you are at home. If you have a car open both doors and run though it and play play. Tug and play. If you have a truck just reward getting in and out of the back. Or you could even go out and feed him dinner in the back of the car (with the door open of course)..

I have a jeep and it is about the same height as the bed. Most of the time he is fine with it but today he wants nothing to do with it.

JagerBomb 06-19-2014 10:13 PM

I took my dog out again this evening and took him to the car to see if he wanted to get in and he did not want to go near it. I had treats too.

simba405 06-19-2014 10:29 PM

he is clearly associating the car with something bad. Anything you can think of?

JagerBomb 06-19-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simba405 (Post 5666489)
he is clearly associating the car with something bad. Anything you can think of?

I can't. He likes to go in the car. I try to take him out with me everywhere. I take him to the pet store just so he is used to the car and to socialize with others. I just had him in the back of the car on tuesday and he was happy as can be to get in and out.

scout172 06-19-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauren43 (Post 5666225)

I agree with the food inside the car idea. :)

Diesel7602 06-20-2014 01:32 PM

How old is your pup? My boy is 19 weeks and is in the brave/fearful stage. It's like mood changes from being brave then fearful at any given point. Which I read is normal at this age.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App