German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy makes a shrill irritating voice

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  thedude4440 
#1 ·
My male gsd puppy 5 months old makes a very shrill voice when tries to bark? I have a female pup of same age nd she barks normally. can anyone explain why he makes that sound.he never barks like the female puppy. Lokls like he is crying while making sound
Thnx for your help in advance.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Titan had a puppy bark for a long time.. and to this day if prompted to bark.. he wills still start with a high pitched yip and I have to work him to give the deep bark.. not come to the door.. entirely different sound, lol

May just be his age and learning to bark. Have you talked to you vet about it? maybe something with his vocal cords?

#3 ·
At that age Apsel also had a shrill bark, but he also had a deep soul rattling one. He'd use the whiny one when he was being a little puppy and playing with his toys and the heelers, but if he ever was leery of something unusual, he'd bring out the intimidating bark. It could just be the stimulation is not enough to warrant a stay away bark.

#6 ·
when i tell my 6 month to 'speak', he just huffs.. like he's gonnnnna bark, but he doesn't. i actually have a video. i try to keep asking him to speak and reward him when he actually barks. it's usually just huffs. lol.

i'm pretty sure it's just a puppy thing. cuz when someone comes knocking on the door, he has no trouble barking at all. lol.

#7 ·
My pup only started barking at six months. She used to only whine and I was taken by surprise when one day she suddenly gave a loud deep bark instead of a puppy one. My neighbours gsd however has a bark that sounds like a mixture of puppy and deep. He should be only a little over a yr old. I guess each dog is different. I wouldn't fuss over it until I am sure his bark isn't normal if I were you

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.