German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   2 Pups Not Working Together... Suggestions Please!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/459682-2-pups-not-working-together-suggestions-please.html)

My2shepherds 06-12-2014 11:02 AM

2 Pups Not Working Together... Suggestions Please!!!

Hi everyone... I am looking for opinions on muzzling pup during training time only. I have an 18 week and a 12 week old that I would love to be able to walk together however the youngest will not stop trying to attack (playing only no aggression) while attempting to walk them both. I am on the fence about the muzzle I see where it may benefit to deliniate work vs play but yet I am hesitant about it too. I would appreciate your thoughts on this issue...:confused:

JakodaCD OA 06-12-2014 11:23 AM

walk them separately, take them to obedience classes separately, Keep in mind you still have TWO puppies. and lots of patience.

MaggieRoseLee 06-12-2014 11:44 AM

I have only one puppy and know I could NEVER handle 2!!! So I'm impressed that you are even trying!

There are tips and suggestions on ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...dogs-once.html

But I think once you decided to take on 2 puppies at the same time, you also willingly took on that alot of stuff will now take twice the time. So they have to be taken on separate walks, and separate training. Double the puppy classes too unless you have someone that can take on the other puppy during classes for you.

Good luck!

My2shepherds 06-12-2014 11:55 AM

Story of my life, I never do things the easy way... lol

I seriously am fine with the double training time. I bring them out separately for their command training and individual leash training the only thing I was wanting to do was be able to go for walks with them at the same time.

Yes, having two pups does take a lot of time but it is soooo worth it... I have discovered my true passion through working with my girls and enjoy every moment of it...

MaggieRoseLee 06-12-2014 12:00 PM

Just make sure you read that link I put in above so you can be ahead of the game and PROactive on alot of situations that may rear their 'ugly head' unless you are able to head them off because you were prepared!

:)

My2shepherds 06-12-2014 01:17 PM

Actually I had read it (right after I had put the deposit down on the second pup lol) so far so good, they only have supervised playtime/bonding time. The rest of the time they are trained and exercised separately. My oldest has no issues with a dual walk other than the younger one trying to play with her too much and both are really good at the basics even when together. I guess it may just be maturity levels, Athena (oldest) was always a very calm and mature pup and Eden is the jokester that does anything for a laugh from us. Just was hoping for a smoother walk time... maybe some day.

BTW Thank you for your advice and time I really appreciate it! I am sure I will have many more questions as time goes on... :)

Courtney 06-12-2014 01:43 PM

Good info in this thread.

Having two pups is a challenge. I think it's important to treat them as individuals and rethink and revise training along the way. The time you spend with them separately is crucial. Plenty of dogs close in age get along with training - you can do it.

What's the sex of the pups? Hopefully not two females:crazy:

My2shepherds 06-12-2014 01:49 PM

Actually they are... :rolleyes:

LaRen616 06-12-2014 01:52 PM

You mentioned that they are both girls, that is not a good idea.

They might get along now because they are both puppies but once they mature, you could be looking at some serious issues. Female/female aggression is terrible, if they fight once, then they will always fight.

sit,stay 06-12-2014 01:57 PM

Leash walking where they are focused on you and not every interesting leaf and companion puppy to play with is a skill that needs to be trained for. At this point the puppies don't know how to do this when they are with you separately and they sure aren't going to know how to do it with eth distraction of the other puppy along.

Train this skill separately, just as you are training your other "commands" separately. Only after they both have the skill solid on their own should you try to walk them together.
Sheilah