German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Leg lifting (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/459210-leg-lifting.html)

Ellimaybel 06-10-2014 11:09 PM

Leg lifting

Gunther only lifts his foot a little off the ground to pee. I have no issues with how he pees, but my husband teases about it saying he should be lifting his leg up to pee. I think it's funny and I really don't care either way, neither does my husband really. I'm just wondering, do neutered male GSD's normally lift their leg a little, a lot, or not at all to pee? What's normal and what's not?

LoveEcho 06-10-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellimaybel (Post 5626682)
Gunther only lifts his foot a little off the ground to pee. I have no issues with how he pees, but my husband teases about it saying he should be lifting his leg up to pee. I think it's funny and I really don't care either way, neither does my husband really. I'm just wondering, do neutered male GSD's normally lift their leg a little, a lot, or not at all to pee? What's normal and what's not?

Anything is normal. My current male still squats at 4 years old. I've had unaltered males squat and altered males lift. If everything else (frequency, ability to empty bladder, etc) is working as it should, it's really nothing to worry about. There's quite a bit of discussion on whether leg lifting is a learned behavior (I.e dogs who were never allowed to mark, etc) or what.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Ellimaybel 06-10-2014 11:21 PM

Yeah, wasn't worried just curious :) I don't generally make a habit of watching dogs pee so I've never really paid attention LOL

Courtney 06-10-2014 11:22 PM

Rusty started lifting his leg around 9 months old. He was neutered when he was 3 yrs old due to an on going prostate enlargement issue. He still lifts his leg but not as much as he did before. If we are out hiking he marks all over just not as much in his own yard.

Tratkins 06-10-2014 11:40 PM

Haha...our guy (6 months) just started lifting his leg about 2 inches off the ground too.

eddie1976E 06-10-2014 11:51 PM

Mine has been lifting for a few weeks now. He is 18 weeks. He lifts randomly, sometimes the left, sometimes the right...sometimes the front, sometimes the back... (not really, only the back).

Ellimaybel 06-11-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie1976E (Post 5626977)
Mine has been lifting for a few weeks now. He is 18 weeks. He lifts randomly, sometimes the left, sometimes the right...sometimes the front, sometimes the back... (not really, only the back).

:rofl: That front leg thing was a great visual!

HarleyTheGSD 06-11-2014 12:59 AM

My 5 year old neutered male lifts a lot in the yard (his territory), while my 20 month old male rarely lifts his leg in the yard. Though, he lifts much more than my 5 year old on walks. Which means, every minute. Lol. Oh well, it doesn't bother me.

Magwart 06-11-2014 01:36 AM

I'm way more concerned about only lifting on one side -- that was an early sign for us that one hip was hurting. My adult neutered males all lift -- and occasionally just stand and pee on the grass, kind of like horses.

The weirdest I've seen is a male lift so high he accidentally aimed *up*, missing the bush completely and squirting another dog in the side of the head. At least, I choose to believe it was an accident. He's blind, so he gets a pass on lousy aim. It was quite acrobatic though.

Shade 06-11-2014 08:24 AM

Delgado started at 6 months and never stopped, even after the neuter. It all depends on the dog