Biting help from my Breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Biting help from my Breeder

just wanted to share this, I was having some issues with my 12 week old land shark so I thought I would ask my Breeder. After all she trains these dogs for years so she should know. And this was a solution she gave that I havent seen anywhere that worked for me. None of the leave her alone and walk away did anything for me but this worked like a charm and i would never have figured it on my own...

Per her...

"As for play-biting Ė your son, or if he cannot do it than you, have to show her that this is not an acceptable behavior. Supervise her, wait for her to start doing this. Make sure that he doesnít run from her. Say NO, walk up to her, take her by her head (like a mother dog would do, with your palm from above), and squeeze it. Do not lift her up or anything like that, just squeeze pretty strongly, to imitate her motherís bite. Puppies have instinctive understanding of this, and if you do it right, you will only have to do it a couple of times and she will stop biting. It is more effective than any human-invented remedies such as re-directing, shouting, lifting her up or hitting her with newspaper : )"

Yes, just picture a nature show where you see the mother wolf with her pups. If they bite her too much, she will just take their entire head into her mouth and give it a good squeeze (never causing an injury though). So just use your palm in the middle of her head, where the mouth starts. As if you were to cover her eyes with your hand. Then squeeze from both sides to imitate a bite. It has to be strong enough where she will realize that you are not playing. But it will not hurt her really, itís more playing on her instincts. "
wyowolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowolf View Post
just wanted to share this, I was having some issues with my 12 week old land shark so I thought I would ask my Breeder. After all she trains these dogs for years so she should know. And this was a solution she gave that I havent seen anywhere that worked for me. None of the leave her alone and walk away did anything for me but this worked like a charm and i would never have figured it on my own...

Per her...

"As for play-biting Ė your son, or if he cannot do it than you, have to show her that this is not an acceptable behavior. Supervise her, wait for her to start doing this. Make sure that he doesnít run from her. Say NO, walk up to her, take her by her head (like a mother dog would do, with your palm from above), and squeeze it. Do not lift her up or anything like that, just squeeze pretty strongly, to imitate her motherís bite. Puppies have instinctive understanding of this, and if you do it right, you will only have to do it a couple of times and she will stop biting. It is more effective than any human-invented remedies such as re-directing, shouting, lifting her up or hitting her with newspaper : )"

Yes, just picture a nature show where you see the mother wolf with her pups. If they bite her too much, she will just take their entire head into her mouth and give it a good squeeze (never causing an injury though). So just use your palm in the middle of her head, where the mouth starts. As if you were to cover her eyes with your hand. Then squeeze from both sides to imitate a bite. It has to be strong enough where she will realize that you are not playing. But it will not hurt her really, itís more playing on her instincts. "
That is exactly what i did and it worked for me
Old 06-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Exactly the advice I needed! Thanks for sharing. Going to try it. Our puppy Callisto is great with half the family and very bitey with the other half.
Wrenai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hope it helps..I was skeptical about it. ..but my 11 yr old son did it himself one time and the dog hasnt tried it since. But thinking about it like a puppy would it makes perfect sense.
wyowolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.