Counter surfing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Counter surfing

Anybody have any tips other than yell OFF and pull him off the counter (sure, we do that but it doesn't seem like it enters his long-term memory) or spraying him with water bottle (I personally hate this idea and with him it wouldn't work as he thinks a water spray is the best thing since God made bully sticks).

Hans is just over 5 months old and interestingly he doesn't jump on us or any other people with the exception of my husband, who makes a giant production of greeting him when he comes home. But he LOVES standing up on his hind legs and then investigating what is on the kitchen counters. I no longer have him tethered to me in the house as there is really no need - he isn't destructive (so long as ALL shoes are hidden) and he's perfectly house trained. I don't let him go into rooms on his own. When I'm cooking or clearing up after dinner, he's in the kitchen with me. Our kitchen is really huge with a very large island, etc so he has opportunity to jump up with a bit of a head start before I come over there yelling OFF! He has managed to pull down a head of lettuce, a grilled red pepper, a grilled chicken breast and even a bowl of cesar salad. He is an indiscriminate eater and will try to gobble everything he grabs.

I don't know if we're just not being firm enough with him or if there is something else we should do. My Mom says that for their Collies nothing worked except popping small balloons every time they jumped. They hated the sound and stopped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Could you use a scat mat?
counter walking
Old 06-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Teach him to not enter the kitchen unless invited and must leave when asked. So when he jumps, he will have to leave the kitchen.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Our whole main floor is open concept so it would be really difficult to train the dog not to go into an area that isn't separated in any way from the rest of it. I am not a fan of open concepts, unlike most people, but the house otherwise works for us.

The scat mat looks really interesting...the only thing would be that I'm not sure where I'd put it...to keep him out of the kitchen area I'd need probably 3 of those.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have had good results using cayenne or red paper flakes.

Option 1: Scatter the red pepper flakes or cayenne powder over the counter the dog frequents.

Option 2: Mix a handful of kibble and lots of pepper flakes and put that little pile in the area the dog sniffs first. The nasty surprise mixed in the kibble just about always stops the behavior.

Option 3 (for stubborn dogs who like pepper): put up baby gates to keep them out of the kitchen. We have an open concept kitchen and had to install large, accordian-style baby gates that expand to cover the entry-points because our blind dog is Cajun (seriously--rescued from South Louisiana) -- unlike other sane dogs, he thinks hot pepper is funny.

Here's what the expansion gates look like:
http://www.target.com/p/munchkin-wid...age.vertical_1

Last edited by Magwart; 06-06-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

You can still put the dog away in time out when he counter surfs. In another room or crated. It has to be unpleasant enough that he will want to stop and for a puppy not being in the same room as you is quite unpleasant to them. If you just say off that is nothing to him.

My rescue and foster dogs counter surfs. I made darn sure that they learn it is not in their best interest to do that.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My golden puppy is just now stopping this behavior. Oddly enough he never went for food. He would bring me my phone , my credit card, of the mail. Lots of no's and leave its.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I love all these tricks people have.

If you catch the dog in the act, correct it HARD aka beat it. Problem solved.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
I love all these tricks people have.

If you catch the dog in the act, correct it HARD aka beat it. Problem solved.

How does this go with the bond and the love? I thought your dog listens to anything you say with no corrections and no training because he loves you. Or that's just for recall that this happens and the bond doesn't work for other situations?

Or this is just advice for others and you, yourself, wouldn't do that?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 01:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
How does this go with the bond and the love? I thought your dog listens to anything you say with no corrections and no training because he loves you. Or that's just for recall that this happens and the bond doesn't work for other situations?

Or this is just advice for others and you, yourself, wouldn't do that?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Well my dog doesn't counter surf because he loves me.

For other people who's dog doesn't even respect them then yeah correct the dog. Clearly the word no and time outs are of no consequence to the dog.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.