Cat woes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cat woes

My pup is just shy of 11 weeks old now. We have had him for 4 weeks, and ever since we got him he has, of course, been after the cat (who is 3 years old). At first it was not bad, they were mutually playing and it was ok, but now that the pup is getting bigger than the cat I am worried it is not going away. After the first week we decided to keep them separated in hopes that would help stop the play fighting, but unfortunately it really hasn't helped. Whenever they are together the dog is always, always, always, trying to play fight with the cat. If we tell him no he stops, but 5 seconds later he's right back at it. It's killing me! What do I do?
intothevoiddd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You need to stop letting them play.

Make sure your cat has tons of escape routes. There are baby gates with cat doors in them. Or you can leave a crack space UNDER a baby gate that the cat can go under but puppy gets stopped.

And you need to WAY up your exercise/training with the puppy. A tired puppy is a well behaved puppy so adding puppy classes, socialization trips, hiking etc. will help get your puppy out of the CRAZY land so he will be able to better listen.

Along with starting up some real 'leave it' training. ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Teaching "Leave It"

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used the Zak George video as an inspiration when we trained our dog. We use "leave the kitty" command. When dog focuses on kitty, we say "leave the kitty" which sends the dog to me for a treat. We have faded treats now at 6 months for the most part. Search this forum for some great tips. And I can attest that a tired doggie won't chase the cat. Here is our Samson after a long hike letting kitty (Joey) lick the yogurt off of his morning meal...so sweet!
[IMG][/IMG]
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here is the link for that video. I will also add that we keep a long lead on the dog still while he is in the house so he is not allowed to chase.

How to train your dog to leave your cat alone - YouTube
Old 06-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This link has more tips:
Introducing Shepherd to cats

The clicker thing is interesting. Not fan of them myself but hey if it works you..go for it!

There is only one rule in cat dog training..."The Dog NEVER chases the cat ever!"

I have had up to 5 dogs 16 or so cats (cat rescue) and over 14 years of living with cats and dogs together. In all that time I have never had a single cat dog incident.

This is a puppy not a dog put a drag leash on him, tell him go to bed. If the cat wants to play with him fine. But don't allow the dog/puppy to chase the cat...period! Use the leash if he trys to chase down and stay...play time is over!

This is in the link somewhere but here is directly:
Leerburg | Introducing Dogs or Puppies into Homes with Cats
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tratkins View Post
I used the Zak George video as an inspiration when we trained our dog. We use "leave the kitty" command. When dog focuses on kitty, we say "leave the kitty" which sends the dog to me for a treat. We have faded treats now at 6 months for the most part. Search this forum for some great tips. And I can attest that a tired doggie won't chase the cat. Here is our Samson after a long hike letting kitty (Joey) lick the yogurt off of his morning meal...so sweet!
[IMG][/IMG]
That is pretty impressive! I have had other dogs that could do that but my GSD is "not" one of them! He is Pretty completely cat proof. Does not even perceive ctas on a walk. I see them he doesn't! But no he can't do that!

Congradulations!!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Our dog is obsessed with our cat. She goes crazy with excitement when she sees him, tries to lie with him and plays all the time with him.

I agree with NO CHASING! We worked on the leave it command but didn't stop the playing. Leave was used when play got too rough. We tried stopping play for a while when we thought the dog was getting too big to play but the cat would then tease her so we left them to it.

For me the bottom line is no chasing and make sure the cat has an escape route and as long as they're both having fun, let them enjoy each other. In my experience the cats always come out on top in the end. Just watch out for the dog, one of my dogs nearly got his eye scratched to pieces when playing with kittens.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Amurphy26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
That is pretty impressive! I have had other dogs that could do that but my GSD is "not" one of them! He is Pretty completely cat proof. Does not even perceive ctas on a walk. I see them he doesn't! But no he can't do that!

Congradulations!!
Thanks Chip! I don't use the clicker either...too much of a pain to keep up with. I have used it for trick training, but for everyday stuff/obedience, I just use marker words. He responds well to it.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would make sure your pup knows the don't touch command.
and ONLY let him ''play'' with the cat when he is in a down position.
that's what we do w/ Teana and our 3 cats.she gets a bit rough too but keeping her down lessens her overall power. but they do need to be watched whenever they play.
good luck and may they all play nice together.
pineconeforestGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One of the reasons I got Komet back was a cat obsession - besides the new baby....

He was in shock when my Bengal, Giza, walked up to him and rolled over....the cats, who have no fear of dogs, walk under him, over him, on top of him, sleep beside him....but still when he is in play mode, he will chase them a few steps in the house....just because...then run to a crate as he knows!!!! I also put him in a down a few feet from his dish at meal time.....the siamese colored barn cat rescue will march over to his dish and EAT from it...with Komet 1-3 feet away....and Komet just stares at her, then me, then her....LOL LOL It is actually pathetic....

The dog has to be taught in no uncertain terms that the cat is untouchable.....but it helps to have a dog savvy cat who does not run every time the dog sees it....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.