GSD biting my kids (moved to puppy behavior/herding gripping pup) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GSD biting my kids (moved to puppy behavior/herding gripping pup)

Hi please no harsh judgment....

My 5 month old GSD really likes to bite my 5 year old. If she's running through the house she chases her and grabs anywhere she can. She has scraped up her arms and even put holes in her clothes.

I would hate to keep her on a lead in the house but I think I'm running out of options. I always correct the dog and also ask my daughter not to run through the house screaming like a mad woman.

Any suggestions????

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
andrea04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea04 View Post
Hi please no harsh judgment....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sounds like you have been here awhile!

Just found this..while looking for help with an out of control Boxer on the other board. Dogs Who Love Kids Too Much
Teaching Your Dog How to Behave Around Children | ASPCA

And for later a few links in post 8 here:
New Dog, Very Challenging

How was that?
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Shock collar?
nikon22shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon22shooter View Post
Shock collar?
It's a 5 month old puppy!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
It's a 5 month old puppy!
I meant for the kids hahhaha
nikon22shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Is rehoming the kids an option?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

andrea, you first need to control your child/children. this has some serious potential to become a dangerous problem. think of an eighty pound gsd taking chunk out of a child.
i would leash in the house and tie to myself and use a prong collar and give a correction right before the behavior starts. keep in mind you are dealing with a pup, so not to harsh a correction.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a five year old and 2 young shepherds. Athena is 13 months and Sinister is 6 months. It is important you teach both the dogs and the kids how to interact with one another. Kids should be taught how to interact with a large dog. I sat my little boy down and explained to him that the puppy views him as another puppy when he flings his arms and screams and Sinister will play with him as a puppy. So I taught my son how to play appropriate with Sinister. Never to play chase game, or get down on the pups level, or be super boisterous. Noah my five year old now plays appropriate with the puppy. He love to play with the flirt pole (he says he is fishing for a puppy. LOL) and plays fetch. Sinister has now learned Noah is a human not a puppy. Also Include your kids in training. The pup should listen to all members of your family and so everyone should be included in training. Finally never leave children and pup unsupervised. Athena is the most kind hearted dog in the world but she doesn't know her own size and will knock over a kiddo trying to give them a kiss. A watchful eye is key to keeping everyone safe. Puppy and kids are notorious for forgetting their manners. Good luck with your puppy!!

Athena'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Do you know what a place command is Andrea? You teach her to lay in a place and not get up. I like to use a little distance from my kids to make it easier in the beginning and for one dog I used a box about 8" tall. They aren't allowed to chase the kids.

Everything becomes training. Never loose around the kids. You can't do this randomly. At 5mos, she should be able to stay in a place for 5mins, on leash, with you sitting right there. Then put her away. I use a crate in the family room so they're still with the family. Exercise and play separate of this and away from the kids. Once she can control the impulse to chase the kids, re-introduce them with both behaving calmly, but always remember obedience around the kids.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had this same issue with my pup when he was younger...it's pretty typical of GSD's or any dog with prey drive. My puppy was 12 weeks old or so, I put a drag line on him, next time my son ran by and he got excited I stepped on the line and his momentum corrected himself. He was little, so it only took two or three times with a "no!" command and it was done. With a 5 month old who has been self reinforcing this behavior by doing it over and over, you may need a higher punishment. I might put a pinch on a five month old (my dog was almost 60 pounds at 5 months), put the drag line on, and step on it when he jumped, allowing the momentum to correct himself. If you're all against the pinch on a "baby," you could put the drag line on him and give a swift backwards correction along with the momentum of him jumping, and give the "no" command. You don't need to over do it, your timing has to be just right, and you have to be consistent.

This is something I corrected/fixed as soon as I saw it, because I knew it would just get worse as the dog got older and bigger. You can't stop kids from running and yelling, it's what they do. My dog learned quickly and at a very young age, it was unacceptable for him to jump on kids.

I'm all about teaching a "place" command, and upping obedience. However, in this situation I want the dog to know that the behavior is unacceptable. I can't teach that jumping in a highly aroused state (chasing a squealing/laughing kid), is unacceptable by just putting the dog in his spot. I wanted him to know that it is NOT okay. Like I said, it was clear, concise, and we haven't had an issue since.

I have this funny picture of him jumping straight up next to my son, without touching him at all, but licking his face. He figured out he wasn't allowed to "touch" my son, so he'd jump straight up in the air NEXT to him and lick his face. In the picture you can see his feet are tucked up so he doesn't hit my son. Now he's tall enough that he can just walk by and lick his face lol. These dogs are too dang smart. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
GSD biting my kids (moved to puppy behavior/herding gripping pup)-luke-yo-kiss.jpg  
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.