German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Upset stomach? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/456706-upset-stomach.html)

kazza2 06-03-2014 01:36 PM

Upset stomach?

Just got our 8 week old puppy 3 days ago. Sleeps a lot but also eats and drinks well.

Started throwing up last night and diarrhea intermittently last night and this morning. Took him immediately to the vet and got xrays done in case of blockage. Nothing in his intestines except for what the vet said was excess gas. Vet said it was only an upset stomach and sent us home with some pills in case the nausea continues.

Has anyone else had this experience here? He does pass gas occasionally. He is eating the dog food recommended to us by the breeder.

He has had his first shot for parvo and isn't due for his second shot for a couple of weeks. We have taken him outside for potty.

Thanks in advance - very stressed!!

Springbrz 06-03-2014 01:40 PM

Has the pup been tested for parasites? Has it been dewormed, yet?

carmspack 06-03-2014 02:26 PM

I guess I should start with welcome . So hi and how are you. Assuming you got your pup from a good and concerned (interested breeder) it may have been an idea to give them a call and let them know what is going on . They may have been able to tell you that it is a bit of a nervous gut from the upheaval and changes in food, water , schedule , adjusting to no litter mates , no mum-dog . 8 weeks is still very young .
The dog may have had a recent vaccination prior to joining your family. This is a physiological stressor and some pups may be sleepy or have a bit of rise in temperature.
Digestion is slowed . Gas forms when digestion is slowed .

Be careful with x rays . They are not benign and should be used only when the situation merits it . I think a pup this age could have had a physical palpation of the stomach , and that x rays were over kill. Be careful that you don't have a vet who oversells products or procedures , takes advantage of your newbie status in dog ownership.

A little slippery elm powder , marshmallow root powder , will sooth the stomach.

wondering what the "pills" are ?

Maxil 06-03-2014 03:09 PM

When you get a new puppy , it just gets high temperature and diarrhea , but vomit isn't sth normal , I am still surprised how you didn't go to the vet , go asap because those defects are parvovirus defects. GL and hope its just some stomache troubles because its better than parvo ,the vet will know what todo. goodluck

kazza2 06-03-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Springbrz (Post 5596410)
Has the pup been tested for parasites? Has it been dewormed, yet?

Dewormed three times, not tested for parasites. I'm bringing a stool sample to the vet.

kazza2 06-03-2014 04:19 PM

Double post.

kazza2 06-03-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxil (Post 5596786)
When you get a new puppy , it just gets high temperature and diarrhea , but vomit isn't sth normal , I am still surprised how you didn't go to the vet , go asap because those defects are parvovirus defects. GL and hope its just some stomache troubles because its better than parvo ,the vet will know what todo. goodluck

Thanks, hope it's just stomach troubles, too. We did go to the vet this morning, and he's had his first immunization for parvovirus already. I know he still needs to finish his series, but the vet didn't think it was parvo. He threw up three times last night but hasn't today and has had excellent appetite.

kazza2 06-03-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5596586)
I guess I should start with welcome . So hi and how are you. Assuming you got your pup from a good and concerned (interested breeder) it may have been an idea to give them a call and let them know what is going on . They may have been able to tell you that it is a bit of a nervous gut from the upheaval and changes in food, water , schedule , adjusting to no litter mates , no mum-dog . 8 weeks is still very young .

Thanks carmspack! I'm really stressed!! Yes, he's from a very good and concerned breeder who comes recommended highly on these sites. I've left her a message, and hopefully she can provide some insight.

Quote:

The dog may have had a recent vaccination prior to joining your family. This is a physiological stressor and some pups may be sleepy or have a bit of rise in temperature.
Digestion is slowed . Gas forms when digestion is slowed .

He did just get his shots on May 27, so that would make sense.

Quote:

Be careful with x rays . They are not benign and should be used only when the situation merits it . I think a pup this age could have had a physical palpation of the stomach , and that x rays were over kill. Be careful that you don't have a vet who oversells products or procedures , takes advantage of your newbie status in dog ownership.

Ugh, I wish I knew that. We've been watching him very closely but was still really worried that he had eaten something he shouldn't have.

Quote:

A little slippery elm powder , marshmallow root powder , will sooth the stomach.

Ah, good to know.

Quote:

wondering what the "pills" are ?

It's metoclopramide, for nausea and vomiting. I won't give it to him unless he throws up again.

Thanks again for your thoughtful response!

carmspack 06-03-2014 05:18 PM

ginger will do the same thing ! without the hazards , this metoclopramide is very powerful stuff -- Metoclopramide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does the dog have an esophagus problem?
When does he throw up? After eating ? What does it look like , undigested food ? or mucousy , or with yellow bile?

these are questions that should have been asked.

look for horses , before you look for zebras, look for the common sense before the exotic and then work backwards.

Vet care should be about health management . Not about symptom management. An x ray , when a hand palpation , a history , a stethoscope to the gut to hear the gurgles and whistling ?

Stool , there again , quite possibly the excitement is because of recent worming.

I am sorry for the rant . Not aimed at you . I guess more at the vet .
You need to do things which support the immune system , which is still vulnerable and under assault by all the challenges of change, worming, vaccinations.

You don't want to create a chronic health problem , create a crashed immune and then create a demodex sensitivity only to be treated with some pretty horrible things , visious cycle - poor you , rich vet.

wait until your breeder responds . Let them help you.

Wicked Seraphim 06-04-2014 02:35 AM

I'm a rather new member just browsing the forums this evening, and came across this thread. So glad I did!! Learned about some herbal remedies and that's always a plus! :)

Now, first thing is first, kazza, I hope your little one is feeling better! Next, carmspack, I do not have a puppy, I've always adopted adult dogs (4 years or older even) but I thought the same thing.. an xray on such a wee dog was extreme. My 10 year old GSD with bad hip dysplasia and horrid arthritis doesn't get xrays all that often, it's just plain bad and unless really needed, my vet avoids invasive stuff at all costs. Plus.. I know the cost of having an adult dog can be costly (yeah, mine has medical issues, but still!) I can only imagine puppy costs! Vaccines..chewies..more vaccines..your livingroom furniture.. more vaccines..spaying/neutering.. replanting your garden.. ;) :D any vet that helps in keeping the costs down and your pup healthy, 2 thumbs up!