Food aggression towards other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Food aggression towards other dogs

Our GSD is 8 months old now and he is developing steady aggression towards our 2 year old Puggle (pug Beagle mix) when it comes to food. This occurs both when regular feeding and when we are cooking/eating dinner and they both are hoping they might get some food. Currently I feed the dogs on other sides of the room at the same time, but when the puggle finishes her food first and walks towards our GSD, the hair on his back stands up and he lets out a mean growl. He has no aggression towards humans during eating, I can rub his head and put my hand in his food with no issues.

I have received mixed assistance on dealing with this. Our dog trainer said let it go uninterupted and allow the GSD to let the puggle know he is the alpha. Our dog boarder on the other had noticed it and said that aggression like that can continue to grow and become dangerous down the road.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whats to do about this? Thanks!!
customx4209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by customx4209 View Post
Our GSD is 8 months old now and he is developing steady aggression towards our 2 year old Puggle (pug Beagle mix) when it comes to food. This occurs both when regular feeding and when we are cooking/eating dinner and they both are hoping they might get some food. Currently I feed the dogs on other sides of the room at the same time, but when the puggle finishes her food first and walks towards our GSD, the hair on his back stands up and he lets out a mean growl. He has no aggression towards humans during eating, I can rub his head and put my hand in his food with no issues.

I have received mixed assistance on dealing with this. Our dog trainer said let it go uninterupted and allow the GSD to let the puggle know he is the alpha. Our dog boarder on the other had noticed it and said that aggression like that can continue to grow and become dangerous down the road.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whats to do about this? Thanks!!
Yeah the puggle is out of line. Its normal and appropriate to guard one's own resources. It can only continue and grow if the puggle doesn't get the hint that she can't have his food too.

Here is a video I made to show behaviors. Watch your dogs closely, even record it, and see if you can see what is really happening.
Dominance & Submission - YouTube
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.