My pup is starting to show his German side. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default My pup is starting to show his German side.

My boy never barked, only when he was in his cage. But now, if I'm taking him out to the bathroom and he sees some one, he lets out this deep bark and tries to pull towards them. Even if it was my husband, he won't stop tell he goes right up to them, realise who it is and is all bum wagging. I thought they can smell really well and would be able to tell with out having to alert or get to them? He doesn't act aggressive. Kinda like letting me know when someone is there. If I take him on walks he only barks at certain dogs, certain people. Maybe can sense thing I don't. My question is, what should I do? Let him bark it out and let him investigate, or let him worn me, and then teach him to stop and ignore?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Fine Dog

Madame, you have a fine dog there. He's acting about as naturally as one could expect from a GSD.

Here's what I'd do:

1) Nothing to dissuade him from alerting at this point. No punishment at all. That's what you're seeing and that's also probably what you got him for.

2) As he grows older you'll see him alert with his ears and eyes and body language before he barks or growls. At that point, teach him to vocalize only on command.

It's easiest to teach him "Easy" with a gentle tap on the leash just to get his mind focused on you again instead of on someone else. He'll get the message quite quickly that he should await your command to vocalize.

3) When you ARE in a situation where there's danger and you want to the dog to not only alert but also vocalize develop a command to get him permission to do so.

4) Learn to predict the situation and the dog's response to it before it happens. Then give a command for the dog to do what you want him to do in that situation before he even knows he's in that situation. Don't let him do the thinking and deciding. You do it.

For instance, when I see someone walking alone or someone with a leashed dog who doesn't represent a threat to us, I tell command my dog "Easy". I also, generally, pull the dog aside and make him lay and stay. He gets the idea that I'm the one who determines danger.

But when we walk by a home with a dog-chewed fence where we've been almost attacked in the past I alert him to be on alert. Some won't agree with me, but I trained Zeus to respond to a low growl issuing from my throat when there's real danger or the low vocalization of the consonants "Sq" for prey (it's work for more than just "Sq"irrels).

He's instantly on alert. No one knows I gave him a command. He learns when he should alert and when not. And, he always looks to me first to give him a heads up on how he should react.

He's become a deterrent with a capital D.

Don't dissuade the dog from alerting. Just teach him to accept direction.

It took us a year and a half. But Zeus never growls or barks without command now.

LF

Last edited by Longfisher; 06-02-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Longfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longfisher View Post
Madame, you have a fine dog there. He's acting about as naturally as one could expect from a GSD.

Here's what I'd do:

1) Nothing to dissuade him from alerting at this point. No punishment at all. That's what you're seeing and that's also probably what you got him for.

2) As he grows older you'll see him alert with his ears and eyes and body language before he barks or growls. At that point, teach him to vocalize only on command.

It's easiest to teach him "Easy" with a gentle tap on the leash just to get his mind focused on you again instead of on someone else. He'll get the message quite quickly that he should await your command to vocalize.

3) When you ARE in a situation where there's danger and you want to the dog to not only alert but also vocalize develop a command to get him permission to do so.

4) Learn to predict the situation and the dog's response to it before it happens. Then give a command for the dog to do what you want him to do in that situation before he even knows he's in that situation. Don't let him do the thinking and deciding. You do it.

For instance, when I see someone walking alone or someone with a leashed dog who doesn't represent a threat to us, I tell command my dog "Easy". I also, generally, pull the dog aside and make him lay and stay. He gets the idea that I'm the one who determines danger.

But when we walk by a home with a dog-chewed fence where we've been almost attacked in the past I alert him to be on alert. Some won't agree with me, but I trained Zeus to respond to a low growl issuing from my throat when there's real danger or the low vocalization of the consonants "Sq" for prey (it's work for more than just "Sq"irrels).

He's instantly on alert. No one knows I gave him a command. He learns when he should alert and when not. And, he always looks to me first to give him a heads up on how he should react.

He's become a deterrent with a capital D.

Don't dissuade the dog from alerting. Just teach him to accept direction.

It took us a year and a half. But Zeus never growls or barks without command now.

LF
Thank you. That is what I was looking for. He is 17 weeks now, so I think this is a normal mile stone. =) oh and teething too. I love his new bark, he will stand between me and what ever he is barking at, look at me and bark at its again.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

my pups around the same age and doing the SAME thing! He's acting like the big boy he will be soon haha
Old 06-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was sitting in the garden with my father and uncle , and suddenly my 7weeks old puppy barked on my uncle when he tapped on the table , it was really funny but wired though.
I love it when I know my puppy is growing up to be a strong dog that can defend me and my family
Maxil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemeld135 View Post
my pups around the same age and doing the SAME thing! He's acting like the big boy he will be soon haha
What's your pups birthday? Perseus is 2/2/14

Old 06-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longfisher View Post
the low vocalization of the consonants "Sq" for prey (it's work for more than just "Sq"irrels).
LF
My non GSD loves chasing squirrels and he is the same way now. All I have to do is exactly that and he is on super alert. When he goes on alert, Gunther does too so it has worked out. While sitting here I just tested it and whispered it softly. The other dog is outside but Gunther immediately looked up and around for anything off. Never even realized it was a training tool until you pointed it out.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OP, this is a natural fearful/reactive response in puppies. I would look into LOOK AT THAT training- you want to minimize this because these people are not threats. You don't want to let him approach when he's barking because you're just reinforcing him for doing it.

Marking and rewarding him for looking at passersby, etc. before he barks is your best bet. That would be the look at that training I mentioned.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm

Last edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN; 06-06-2014 at 07:16 AM. Reason: removed comment re OT info
DJEtzel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
OP, this is a natural fearful/reactive response in puppies. I would look into LOOK AT THAT training- you want to minimize this because these people are not threats. You don't want to let him approach when he's barking because you're just reinforcing him for doing it.

Marking and rewarding him for looking at passersby, etc. before he barks is your best bet. That would be the look at that training I mentioned.

I'm not sure if I love you or hate you sometimes.
Thank you for that.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You have a four month old BABY. It isn't alerting in the sense that it wants to protect you. It's alerting in the sense that it isn't sure how it's supposed to handle that specific situation.

If you continue to reward that behavior, you will create your very own fear aggressive dog.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.