First walk Without Leash!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2014, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First walk Without Leash!!

A couple of days ago, I took my 8.5 month old Shiloh Shepard "Kiyah" on a walk and while in a undeveloped area of our subdivision, I decided to work on some off-leash training. She did so well on recall and stay commands, I decided to finish the walk off-leash. The rest of the walk went very well. She is normally skiddish of cars passing or cyclists, but didn't seem concerned on the rest of the walk.

I took another walk with her the same day to make sure it wasn't a fluke and sure enough, she behaved admirably. This included encountering a neighbor with a lost-dog on leash looking for it's owner.

note: I keep a leash on hand just in case and I use an E-collar on her as a correction tool. She still need a little help on occasion with the E-collar when she gets too distracted, but does well overall.

Here is Kiyah at the local park on walk #3 without leash as we were learning obstacles:

Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I was impressed until I read Ecollar. That's basically a leash...
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Same here. An E collar on a young dog like that? For what? Distraction requires training; increasing distance and you getting more interesting for her with the use of toys and treats. Ditch the E.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

The E-collar is primarily a fail-safe in case something abnormal happens that causes her to get obsessive. Our neighborhood has a lot of traffic, stray cats and the occasional stray dog. I have no doubt that in the next few months the e-collar will not be needed.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Same here. An E collar on a young dog like that? For what? Distraction requires training; increasing distance and you getting more interesting for her with the use of toys and treats. Ditch the E.
Not so good advice.

If the e-collar is working, use it. If you feel you can find a better way then find it. In the end it's a personal choice that shouldn't be decided on a freakin message board by someone people don't know from, adam. People around here lately can't help but show they can do it better for less on their ego trips.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
A couple of days ago, I took my 8.5 month old Shiloh Shepard "Kiyah" on a walk and while in a undeveloped area of our subdivision, I decided to work on some off-leash training. She did so well on recall and stay commands, I decided to finish the walk off-leash. The rest of the walk went very well. She is normally skiddish of cars passing or cyclists, but didn't seem concerned on the rest of the walk.

I took another walk with her the same day to make sure it wasn't a fluke and sure enough, she behaved admirably. This included encountering a neighbor with a lost-dog on leash looking for it's owner.

note: I keep a leash on hand just in case and I use an E-collar on her as a correction tool. She still need a little help on occasion with the E-collar when she gets too distracted, but does well overall.

Here is Kiyah at the local park on walk #3 without leash as we were learning obstacles:

I am happy your making progress. Good for you.

jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think I would have a "skittish" dog off leash where she might spook at something and bolt. She could be a couple of blocks away before you even remembered you had the e-collar control.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo220 View Post
Not so good advice.

If the e-collar is working, use it. If you feel you can find a better way then find it. In the end it's a personal choice that shouldn't be decided on a freakin message board by someone people don't know from, adam. People around here lately can't help but show they can do it better for less on their ego trips.

Thank you.

Originally, we encountered an issue with Kiyah having separation anxiety (it still exists but not as much) When Kiyah was in her crate, any time a person would open a door to leave or come inside, she would come unglued barking in a VERY high pitch as if she were screaming in pain. Normally my wife and I would be able to work with her on this, but we also have a 4 month old baby in the house and Kiyah's barking will wake her up even if the baby is in another room with the door closed.

My wife and I agree that this behavior is good for a dog to announce someone entering, but it needs to also have an "off-switch" to let Kiyah know that the person leaving is okay and a person entering has been approved. Attempts to train without the e-collar seem to only reward Kiyah's behavior with the presence of her people (she sees this as a reward) The E-collar gives use the ability to correct the behavior without approaching the crate which previously added to the anxiety.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
The E-collar is primarily a fail-safe in case something abnormal happens that causes her to get obsessive. Our neighborhood has a lot of traffic, stray cats and the occasional stray dog. I have no doubt that in the next few months the e-collar will not be needed.
That's why I love and use the e-collar too. Though hopefully you aren't using it as a punishment and instead to continue to TRAIN a reliable come. There is a vast difference in the methods of training as well as the outcome.

This is my preferred training method for the 'come' and the e-collar: Teach the Recall (page 2)

So do not use the ecollar to PUNISH when they don't listen (come come come come WHAMMO is wrong). Instead you teach them to listen and 'beat' the stimulation by turning and coming BEFORE you have to activate the collar.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Thank you.

Originally, we encountered an issue with Kiyah having separation anxiety (it still exists but not as much) When Kiyah was in her crate, any time a person would open a door to leave or come inside, she would come unglued barking in a VERY high pitch as if she were screaming in pain. Normally my wife and I would be able to work with her on this, but we also have a 4 month old baby in the house and Kiyah's barking will wake her up even if the baby is in another room with the door closed.

My wife and I agree that this behavior is good for a dog to announce someone entering, but it needs to also have an "off-switch" to let Kiyah know that the person leaving is okay and a person entering has been approved. Attempts to train without the e-collar seem to only reward Kiyah's behavior with the presence of her people (she sees this as a reward) The E-collar gives use the ability to correct the behavior without approaching the crate which previously added to the anxiety.
This sounds like improper use of positive reinforcement to me, and timing. Makes me worry about how you'd be using an e collar.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.