German Shepherds Forum banner

17wk Old Puppy Barking/Pulling Towards Other Dogs

988 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Diesel7602 
#1 ·
Hey Guys!

So I'm new here (obviously). I have a 17 week old GSD named Zephyr who I love to pieces (and thats mutual, he's a super sweet, affectionate, and gentle dog with all humans).

Recently on walks/at parks and at Starbucks he has been barking with his biggest, deepest bark at every dog he sees. I have tried redirecting with his favorite treats and a high happy voice, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I think it could be that he just wants to go play, but no dog owners seem to want to let him near their dogs (and I can't really blame them), so it just frustrates him even more. Not to mention the other dogs tend to get a little bit riled up from his barking.

What can I do? Is this normal?

Also with the dogs he does know, he seems to play pretty rough, but it sounds like thats fairly normal and he's just pushing and testing his boundaries until he gets told off by whoever he's playing with.

Thanks everyone!

#2 ·
Mine whines and wants to play with all dogs, but that is not an options or feasible. The only interactions he has had with other dogs has been at play time. Now, I take him places where he can see other dogs but he is not allowed to play with them. I increase the space between him and them to the point where he is not reacting to them. I click and treat whenever he looks at other dogs and looks away without reacting. Once he stops reacting, I cut the distance, and continue. I have been told (by a few trainers) this is the best way to control his unwanted behavior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.