German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   behavior issues with a 7 month old (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/454362-behavior-issues-7-month-old.html)

liferebooted 05-27-2014 12:53 AM

behavior issues with a 7 month old

I got my girl when she was 10 weeks old, she just turned 7 months old and is spayed. I'm having some annoying issues with her. First off, I did take her to obedience training and she passed just fine but at home she behaves a lot worse. She'll listen to her commands to sit/stay/free/down but thats its. At 7 months shes is still mouthing\biting. I managed to get her to stop biting everyone else in my family when she wants to be petted by them but she bites me all day long.

I just want to mention that I'm with her almost all the time, since the day I got on her X-mas eve I dropped my work hours to twice a week and only 5 hours each day. I have no life so I'm home all the time with her. I've had her on a leash in the house since day 1, I have 4 older dogs, small breeds 5-12 years old. None of them want anything to do with her. she is nice to them but they'll attack or growl at her if she gets within a few feet.

Besides the fact that she won't quit trying to eat me I'm also annoyed that I still have to keep her on a leash all day, when I drop it she goes bat **** insane running around, trying to jump on top of the other dogs and chewing anything she can. Is this normal at 7 months for a GSD? I had a GSD\Rottie mix for 15 years but he was the laziest most laid back dog ever made.

Oh, I also want to make it clear that while at 7 months her mouthing and biting really, really hurts she NEVER had broken skin so I think that she just might not realize what she's doing. =\ She is such a sweetie but has some problems.

I walk her 4 times a day for 20 minutes each, I also take her out back a few times a day to toss sticks for her to chase since she loves them. The problem with this is I have to keep her on a 15 foot leash, my yard is fenced in but if she really wants to I'm sure she could climb\jump it. 2 months ago when she was much smaller she was just standing next to the kitchen table and jumped right on top of it without even needing a running start.

liferebooted 05-27-2014 01:02 AM

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...06005765_o.jpg
My little monster. :D

llombardo 05-27-2014 01:05 AM

Obedience for life. It doesn't stop once they finish a class. Continue to take her to class. Of course she is going to run all over the place acting crazy because she is on a leash all day. Do you own a crate? You can't have her on a leash for the next 12 years. If she is living in a house with other dogs, your going to have to work with all of them do they can co-exist. It's not fair to her.

liferebooted 05-27-2014 01:12 AM

Yes she has a crate and she loves it. I do not use the crate to punish her ever, she sleeps in it at night and during the day when I have to go to the store or mow the lawn. Last time I let her off leash in the house she was trying to play with my 10 year old 40lb mix, put her pawn down hard between her shoulder blades causing a pinched nerve =\ That doggy was in so much pain for days. The leash has mainly been to protect the other dogs and her since she tries to eat power cords still.

And yes I'm going to try to get her into more training classes. I'm looking for a different trainer who is more custom to GSDs. My last trainer kept telling me to spray her with lemon juice which I found cruel. She also would hang her by the prong collar while she cried and told me it was just "her acting and trying to manipulate me." While I love Cesar Millan she was trying to copy him in all her training no matter the breed or the problem.

llombardo 05-27-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liferebooted (Post 5568578)
Yes she has a crate and she loves it. I do not use the crate to punish her ever, she sleeps in it at night and during the day when I have to go to the store or mow the lawn. Last time I let her off leash in the house she was trying to play with my 10 year old 40lb mix, put her pawn down hard between her shoulder blades causing a pinched nerve =\ That doggy was in so much pain for days. The leash has mainly been to protect the other dogs and her since she tries to eat power cords still.

And yes I'm going to try to get her into more training classes. I'm looking for a different trainer who is more custom to GSDs. My last trainer kept telling me to spray her with lemon juice which I found cruel. She also would hang her by the prong collar while she cried and told me it was just "her acting and trying to manipulate me." While I love Cesar Millan she was trying to copy him in all her training no matter the breed or the problem.

Yes find a new trainer. There is nothing wrong with her being in a crate for short periods while you are home. Is there an area in the house where you can put up a gate and let her have free reign while you are there and watching her? She is a puppy and wants to play, I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt the other dog. Do you keep her on a leash and the other dogs are around or in the same room?

gsdsar 05-27-2014 01:25 AM

What are you doing when she bites you?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

liferebooted 05-27-2014 01:30 AM

Sometimes when I just try to pet her she'll put my arm in her mouth, I don't know if its mouthing or biting, she never comes close to breaking the skin but I have eczema so I have cuts all over already so it really hurts. The only time it really feels like she is biting is when she brings me something to throw outside, she won't let go and when I grab it she bites my hand because she knows I'll let go, but then she wonders why I can't through it.

I really am making her sound terrible but she really is sweet most of the time, she just has a few kinks.

gsdsar 05-27-2014 01:41 AM

She doesn't sound horrible. She sounds like a puppy with no boundaries!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

warpwr 05-27-2014 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liferebooted (Post 5568578)
I'm looking for a different trainer who is more custom to GSDs.
My last trainer kept telling me to spray her with lemon juice which I found cruel. She also would hang her by the prong collar while she cried and told me it was just "her acting and trying to manipulate me."
While I love Cesar Millan she was trying to copy him in all her training no matter the breed or the problem.

Cesar Milan doesn't train dogs.

You really do need a new trainer though, negative stuff like hanging and spraying with lemon are about 1/10th as affective as positive reinforcement, if that.

7 month olds can be a problem. I know, we have one. They like to test all the boundaries both newly discovered and all the things they already learned just to see if you really mean it.

As I'm typing this, I can hear my wife saying NO!, release, Ow, etc in the other room, haha.

We're lucky I guess, we go to a GSD trainer and right now ours is in puppy or first level obedience.
Zazzle, in purple collar.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL136.../409507882.jpg

It seems like your girl really needs to burn off some steam at dog social get togethers (lots of socializing) or ball chasing or the like too.

Hey, good luck. These dogs invariably turn out to be the best there are after they mature.

llombardo 05-27-2014 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liferebooted (Post 5568658)
Sometimes when I just try to pet her she'll put my arm in her mouth, I don't know if its mouthing or biting, she never comes close to breaking the skin but I have eczema so I have cuts all over already so it really hurts. The only time it really feels like she is biting is when she brings me something to throw outside, she won't let go and when I grab it she bites my hand because she knows I'll let go, but then she wonders why I can't through it.

I really am making her sound terrible but she really is sweet most of the time, she just has a few kinks.

You can work on commands at home with her. Teach her to drop it when she has a toy that way she doesn't bite your hand. Now that she knows she can get that toy if she bites you, she will do it. She doesn't sound terrible, she is a young energetic dog. It sounds like she is mouthing you. I got my male when he was about 8 months old and he was still mouthing. It took about a week to stop it. Whenever he put his mouth on me I would say no and walk away. He eventually learned and rather quickly that he wasn't getting any petting until he stopped. You can also play tug with her. If she starts mouthing you, give her the tug and play with her, let her win and make a big deal about it.