5 months old…flips out/attacks me? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5 months old…flips out/attacks me?

Loki is 5 1/2 months and since he was pretty young, he has always had moments (usually when he is overtired or overstimulated) where he just totally flips out on me! He goes into full on wolverine attack mode, runs at me and just starts biting the heck out of me, and can't stop! The more I try to physically restrain him and pry him off me, the more crazy and riled up he gets. So I've tried all kinds of things like redirection with a toy, ignoring him, walking out of the room, putting him in timeouts, holding him in place as gently as possible till he calms down… some of these are more effective than others and work some of the time.

Mostly, I have to resort to holding him in place and making him sit till he calms down enough to listen to a sit/stay or a down/stay. Once I get to the point where I can have him listen to a command, he seems kind of relieved to that he has snapped out of it and has a job he can do.

The older he is getting, the less often it happens… but it still happens, maybe once every other day or a few times a week, some times worse than others. But it continues happen, and obviously, that will not be tolerable at all when he is full grown!

I use a lot of NILIF all during the day, he always has to work for his food and during our playtime. Lots of obedience and exercise. Exercise and playtime helps a lot, as long as I don't overdo it, which also triggers his little freak outs. He gets at least 2 hours per day of activities: walks, dog park, training, playtime in the yard.

He has been a very different dog compared to most I've been around and trained. He is the sweetest, most loving puppy, and also can be so stubborn/defiant. Scolding and physical corrections seem to only rile him up him and make him behave worse. So I do a lot of redirecting and positively reinforce the correct behaviors. Timeouts and me leaving the room are some of the most effective things for discouraging his bad behaviors.

Im hoping some of you guys will have advise for me! Im getting a little worried. Is this a normal thing that he will grow out of? If you've gone through this with your dog, I'd love to hear about it.
lokimonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hehehe... I called that gatoring.
He stopped at 5 1/2 months.
Today I wore a pair of pants with some holes at the knees, from those days. Couldn't bring myself to toss them

Hans seemed to do that at night, when he was overtired.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Since this happens when he is overtired, I would start incorporating scheduled daily nap times. Crate him in a quiet area so he can get some more sleep during the day. Puppies need to sleep a lot - people get so worried about not exercising or stimulating their pup enough and forget to build quiet times into the day.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

HEHE sounds exactly like my max until like couple weeks back.. Noticed this only happened when he was over exhausted after very long play/train session like an hour continuous as I often forget how fast time flies when playing with him after I get back home from work.. His schedule is perfect now and has chilled out a lot!!! its quite hard for me to comprehend still remembering those crazy first five months.. the big change I noticed was due to the fact that his teething stage is almost over he's much more mellow and cuddly now that most of his adult teeth have started to come in..just saw him spit out his two k9 and few molars yesterday.. is this normal also for other people that the once hyper pup suddenly starts to behave like my golden retriever Will this last?? lol
souvik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

I too have a dog with a Loki spirit... but I did not name him Loki. ;-) I think this is common for high drive protection breeds as well as others but especially the protection breeds it comes with biting. Tygo does it infrequently now that he is a year old, but it still can happpen, usually in the evening. He wants attention. Teach him a tug game and go for it for 5-10 minutes. That usually works for me. I incorporate a little obediance now in the tug to teach him to work in that high energy place. Start slow (in terms of adding obedience), be consistent and use time-outs.

This too shall pass. I'll let you know when. LOL
Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had to schedule nap times for Delgado, I called him my energizer bunny with the fast recharge Patience and consistency and eventually it fades away and you'll realize you've gone a full week without a problem

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I feel a lot better now! I'll make sure to focus on more scheduled nap times, and being patient lol... he has been crateless for the past couple weeks since he grew out of his old one. Just got a new one a few days ago that will make things a lot easier.
I sure am enjoying raising this crazy little pup, so different than other breeds I've had experience with!

Last edited by lokimonster; 05-28-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo
lokimonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Chevelle only does this when I come home from work and she is in freak out mode that I am back... it's 90 seconds of crazed jumping and biting that I would give my left arm to make stop.. (and sometimes do!) and she just turned 8 months old..... still dealing with it..
carrieincolorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.