German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   5 months old…flips out/attacks me? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/454345-5-months-old-flips-out-attacks-me.html)

lokimonster 05-27-2014 12:42 AM

5 months old…flips out/attacks me?

Loki is 5 1/2 months and since he was pretty young, he has always had moments (usually when he is overtired or overstimulated) where he just totally flips out on me! He goes into full on wolverine attack mode, runs at me and just starts biting the heck out of me, and can't stop! The more I try to physically restrain him and pry him off me, the more crazy and riled up he gets. So I've tried all kinds of things like redirection with a toy, ignoring him, walking out of the room, putting him in timeouts, holding him in place as gently as possible till he calms down… some of these are more effective than others and work some of the time.

Mostly, I have to resort to holding him in place and making him sit till he calms down enough to listen to a sit/stay or a down/stay. Once I get to the point where I can have him listen to a command, he seems kind of relieved to that he has snapped out of it and has a job he can do.

The older he is getting, the less often it happens… but it still happens, maybe once every other day or a few times a week, some times worse than others. But it continues happen, and obviously, that will not be tolerable at all when he is full grown!

I use a lot of NILIF all during the day, he always has to work for his food and during our playtime. Lots of obedience and exercise. Exercise and playtime helps a lot, as long as I don't overdo it, which also triggers his little freak outs. He gets at least 2 hours per day of activities: walks, dog park, training, playtime in the yard.

He has been a very different dog compared to most I've been around and trained. He is the sweetest, most loving puppy, and also can be so stubborn/defiant. Scolding and physical corrections seem to only rile him up him and make him behave worse. So I do a lot of redirecting and positively reinforce the correct behaviors. Timeouts and me leaving the room are some of the most effective things for discouraging his bad behaviors.

Im hoping some of you guys will have advise for me! Im getting a little worried. Is this a normal thing that he will grow out of? If you've gone through this with your dog, I'd love to hear about it.

Sunflowers 05-27-2014 12:58 AM

179 Attachment(s)
Hehehe... I called that gatoring.
He stopped at 5 1/2 months.
Today I wore a pair of pants with some holes at the knees, from those days. Couldn't bring myself to toss them :)

Hans seemed to do that at night, when he was overtired.

Castlemaid 05-27-2014 01:56 AM

Since this happens when he is overtired, I would start incorporating scheduled daily nap times. Crate him in a quiet area so he can get some more sleep during the day. Puppies need to sleep a lot - people get so worried about not exercising or stimulating their pup enough and forget to build quiet times into the day.

souvik6 05-27-2014 08:55 AM

HEHE sounds exactly like my max until like couple weeks back.. Noticed this only happened when he was over exhausted after very long play/train session like an hour continuous as I often forget how fast time flies when playing with him after I get back home from work.. His schedule is perfect now and has chilled out a lot!!! its quite hard for me to comprehend still remembering those crazy first five months.. the big change I noticed was due to the fact that his teething stage is almost over he's much more mellow and cuddly now that most of his adult teeth have started to come in..just saw him spit out his two k9 and few molars yesterday.. is this normal also for other people that the once hyper pup suddenly starts to behave like my golden retriever :) Will this last?? lol

DutchKarin 05-27-2014 10:35 AM

I too have a dog with a Loki spirit... but I did not name him Loki. ;-) I think this is common for high drive protection breeds as well as others but especially the protection breeds it comes with biting. Tygo does it infrequently now that he is a year old, but it still can happpen, usually in the evening. He wants attention. Teach him a tug game and go for it for 5-10 minutes. That usually works for me. I incorporate a little obediance now in the tug to teach him to work in that high energy place. Start slow (in terms of adding obedience), be consistent and use time-outs.

This too shall pass. I'll let you know when. LOL

Shade 05-27-2014 10:45 AM

I had to schedule nap times for Delgado, I called him my energizer bunny with the fast recharge ;) Patience and consistency and eventually it fades away and you'll realize you've gone a full week without a problem

lokimonster 05-28-2014 02:05 PM

Thanks guys! I feel a lot better now! I'll make sure to focus on more scheduled nap times, and being patient lol... he has been crateless for the past couple weeks since he grew out of his old one. Just got a new one a few days ago that will make things a lot easier.
I sure am enjoying raising this crazy little pup, so different than other breeds I've had experience with! :)

carrieincolorado 05-28-2014 10:30 PM

Chevelle only does this when I come home from work and she is in freak out mode that I am back... it's 90 seconds of crazed jumping and biting that I would give my left arm to make stop.. (and sometimes do!) and she just turned 8 months old..... still dealing with it..

Benny Boo's Mommy 07-25-2014 03:13 PM

Hey Lokimonster, I just found this thread of yours with the exact same behavior as my dog Ben! I can say he's one and a half and the "gatoring" as someone called it here, only happens once in a while...like maybe once a month these days. He does seem to have to be "snapped out of it" like you say, with redirecting/commands.

We don't know if it would have happened more if he were younger bc he was already around 9mos old when we got him and he was pretty sick...two or three months or so of rehabilitating before he was a "normal" healthy dog.

I wonder if it's stress or something. He does nap a lot (sleeps on the floor all day), but it does happen at night. Let me know what has been working for you. We are trying the treat/command thing since Ben is food motivated.

namvet4 07-25-2014 03:30 PM

Thanks for this thread everyone! Sarge - "Sergeant Major Bratt" - now almost 4 months old has started demonstrating the rapid run and tear around trying to bite. I had never seen this type of behavior and was getting concerned. Now I know that he will require more naps and rest time to discourage this type of behavior. He is active and loves to run the yard and play fetch. Now we will try and adjust the amount of time downwards and allow more for quiet time.