Dog doesn't accept hugs? (5 months old) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog doesn't accept hugs? (5 months old)

rambo, our 5 month old male, on the right doesn't like hugs. julie the 1.5 year old female does. we can hug her, lay on her, whatever we want and she loves it. if we try to hug rambo he flips out. he screams like someone is killing him. wife and i are assuming it's a dominance issue, he does't like to be dominated. we are going to talk to our trainer about it during next class but our trainer isn't god and i would like some other opinions on the matter. we never lay on him hard or squeeze him hard.

wife and i are thinking just keep forcing it on him 'till he submits or realizes we are in charge, can do what we want to him and will never hurt him. i just tried to hive him a hug from behind and he wailed out. i think my nose is broken from his head. it made a loud crack noise and my whole face hurts. looks to be in regular position but i am hoping not to develop 2 black eyes.

what's the issue here?

scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Um. well I certainly wouldn't FORCE the issue. How are you hugging him? And why is it necessary to begin with. I don't think it's really a dominance thing. I learned early on that Titan does not like to cuddle or snuggle. At all. He barely tolerates it now because he's 4 and knows sometimes I just wanna hug him. Otherwise, it's "get off me mom!" He just doesn't like it. He isn't dominant in that regard, very submissive to me, just doesn't liek snuggles.

You can't assume because your girl likes hug that your male will too. Every dog is different and some simply just don't like cuddling, hugging, snuggling. I personally think you should let that dream go and just accept it.

The only concerning factor would be the yelping or screaming when you do it. Have you had him since he was real little?

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hugging is not a natural thing for dogs. You aren't going to prove you are the King to them by forcing it. It's not a dominance issue. If you have a dog that likes to be hugged, great. If not, leave them be and allow them their personal space. (Read The Other End of the Leash)

And just an FYI...the guy that came up with the whole dominance theory? He now says it's based on flawed science and is crap.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

we had him since he was 8 weeks old. he loves cuddles. jumps in bed and licks our faces. he just doesn't like arms around him.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

They're both very beautiful. I have no advice on making him like hugs. Have you tried slipping a little something in his drink
I think I've been under the impression many dogs don't like hugs. Does he enjoy getting petted?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

yes he loves being petted.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Forcing a dog to accept anything it clearly does not like is always risky. I'd wait to see what your trainer has to say, he/she'll be able to assess body language and judge just what the dog is telling you.

Some dogs just don't love feeling restrained. Apsel has a similar yet milder reaction when I restrain him in any fashion. I haven't bothered to correct the squirm, because I learned to trade hugs, for him basically sitting in my lap. In situations like this, I think if one party compromises, it is only fair for everyone party to compromise.

If you start slowly, small steps may even get you all the hugs you've ever wanted eventually, but full immersion is not going to be a recommended route.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Some dogs just don't like it, they aren't people and don't hug each other I think it just freaks some dogs out. Eko doesn't like it, he used to as a puppy but now he would much rather lay next to me or at my feet and be petted. My other dog loves cuddles, even lets me hold her on her back like a baby lol so I just give all of the cuddles to her.

And all of the noisemaking, assuming he's not in pain or anything he might just be being a drama queen. Eko is the same way he will yelp like he's being murdered if he is even slightly uncomfortable. My vet says she knows a lot of GSDs like that.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
we had him since he was 8 weeks old. he loves cuddles. jumps in bed and licks our faces. he just doesn't like arms around him.
So don't do it.

You need to teach him that when he has to be restrained to relax for emergencies and vet visits but you don't need to keep hugging him and irritating him.

For Seger, I hold him and when he relaxed I gave it a command and then released him. "Relax". I just needed to teach him to allow people to do that but I don't need to continuously force it on him because it is NOT natural for dogs.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
(Read The Other End of the Leash)
I second this: The Other End of the Leash is one book EVERY dog owner needs to read. The author (Patricia McConnell) explains that hugging is a primate behavior that is unnatural for dogs. It can sometimes even translate as aggression in canine body language. Her study of canine behavior showed that some dog bites of humans are precipitated by a hug. This was also found in a NIH study. Some dogs are able to bridge primate communication and accept it--others aren't. So don't put your dog in a position where he may someday feel he needs to defend himself from you.

Here are a few links while you wait to get the book:

Doggone Safe: Dogs Don't like Hugs and Kisses

https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/th...eleash/hugging
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.