German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Black German Shepherd pup aggression (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/451754-black-german-shepherd-pup-aggression.html)

aleinad 05-19-2014 08:30 AM

Black German Shepherd pup aggression

Hi,

I have joined this forum to ask for help and any input would be appreciated.
We have black, working dog German Shepherd named Titan. He is 13 weeks old. We got him at 6 weeks since we didn't know better at the time. We got him from a backyard breeder. On our way back pup got hungry and while my partner was feeding him, pup must have thought that my partner was taking away food and bit him. That said, it was enough to draw blood but not too much. That said he is not food agressive now and does not guard his stuff. When we got him home, we had other dog Jack Rusell Terrier that attacked him and we called a trainer that said to let them sort it out. We listened to the advice and then it happened again. We called the trainer and he said that Jack Rusell needs to be rehomed. He lives now in my mothet in law's house. Titan has been good with kids, some dominant behavior that we are fixing. He is well trained. He sits before he gets his food, fetches the ball, plays soccer, lies down, comes, walks well on a lead, play with his toys and so on. His biting and chewing is now minimal. He is a very smart dog but very dominant. This brings me to my other issue, today my partner was fixing a lead into the seat belt so that the dog was put. The dog started growling at him and air snapping. This was definitely agression, he didn't want to be moved.

Now I am wondering whether this agression is a long term problem and whether I need to rehome the dog to someone more knowledgeable.

Thank you for any help that you can offer.

DWP 05-19-2014 08:34 AM

Patience

Patience. Keep training. Be consistant. Stay calm, and keep asking questions here. Someone better at giving advice than me will respond shortly.

Baillif 05-19-2014 08:40 AM

Never deal with that trainer again. He is an idiot.

You need to find a good trainer to help you because if you are having problems now with a baby they will be really bad problems in the future.

You will need to change how you live with the puppy and dogs in general.

carmspack 05-19-2014 09:11 AM

byb and byt , back-yard-trainers , how absurd to recommend an adult Jack Russel Terrier , probably feisty , to sort it out with a 6 week old pup.
The pup was attacked when he got home !
Bad management all round.

"He is a very smart dog but very dominant. This brings me to my other issue, today my partner was fixing a lead into the seat belt so that the dog was put. The dog started growling at him and air snapping. This was definitely agression, he didn't want to be moved"

You got a black dog from a back yard breeder who at minimum should have known that 6 weeks was too early to home , even if you did not.
Who knows other pups might have gone home earlier .

Don't pin any problems on the dog being "working" . Says who? Some sales pitch ? Problems will be due to the byb not having spent the time to properly socialize the pup . What the dog experiences prior to 8 weeks is as important , maybe more so , than what is given after . This is the critical imprint age .
That the pup was that hungry on the ride home shows that the dogs were fed sparingly or in an atmosphere were there was a lot of competition and not enough to go around . Competition for little.

Be on guard for dog aggression problems . Not a good introduction. You are lucky the JRT didn't damage the pup. Not once , twice .

If that were my dog and he didn't want to move , I would put him on lead and he would be moving with me , every where I wanted to go , and quickly , and then I would put him wherever you wanted to put him in the first place. No punishment or time-outs , no bribes . No negotiations.

sehrgutcsg 05-19-2014 10:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Nelson and Bella Jack Russell (7) Bella GSD at 4 months. Yes, one bite occured. A true love affair. Listen to the member's here, they will help you ! :D

aleinad 05-19-2014 10:13 PM

Any help is appreciated please.

aleinad 05-19-2014 10:20 PM

Thanks for that. I should have known better, I understand that. I have been training him, we take him for walks as well. He is fine with strangers as long they do not invade his personal space. He needs more socialization and I am working on that. I am about to enrol him in a puppy school so that he is around other dogs more. Is there anything else I should be doing. Sorry for my choppy replies, I am still getting a hang of this forum.

aleinad 05-19-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg (Post 5535738)
Nelson and Bella Jack Russell (7) Bella GSD at 4 months. Yes, one bite occured. A true love affair. Listen to the member's here, they will help you ! :D

It's nice to see that they are getting along:) I am still working on mine. Hopefully it will be sorted.

diarmuid957 05-19-2014 10:34 PM

For immediate help I would look at the articles on Leerburg.com that detail Establishing Pack Structure. Its obvious that's you need you need to sort this out ASAP. I doubt you need to rehome either of your dogs. But you do need some house rules and fast. Your dogs are looking for guidance and since they aren't getting any from the humans, they are sorting out things themselves.

Also I strongly recommended at the on-demand Leerburg videos on "Your Puppy 8wks to 8 mths."

You have a lot of ground to cover but with a few simple steps you can go a long way to correcting these behavior problems.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

aleinad 05-19-2014 10:45 PM

Thanks for that. I have been working on pack leadership but that is of great help. It will make things much simpler. We gave gained some grounds with him and things have gotten much better. He was far more aggressive when we got him, he is much better around strangers, less tense and scared when we take him for a walk. I can feed him from my hand now, before he would snap at the hand but now he controls bites. Also I can take and add food to bowl. He sits and waits. Only with kids I need to establish better hierachy.

One other issue that I have with him is when walking and pushing the pram at the same time, he will prop himself in front of me and push off on the back legs and put front paws on the pram and push along. It can be a bother and it could be dominance thing again.