Oh no. Otto seems aggressive. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oh no. Otto seems aggressive.

Otto is about 6 months old now and he still has yet to get his rabies shot she we havent taken him out for socializing yet. When some comes around who isn't part of our household he barks (sometimes growls) and the hair on his back stands straight up. He even aggressively snapped at a cop that randomly came over to pet him. How can I nick this behavior in the bud before something aweful happens? Also, I should add that when someone he doesnt know comes into our house he does all these things (minus the snapping) and we keep him on a leash by our side and ignore his behavior until he calms down and is willing to be friendly. It takes all of 10 minutes for him to realize those people are okay.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
AndreaLS687 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

He needs to be socialized. Work under his threshold and do not flood him. 6 months is a long time without socialization it will be hard you will have to work at it but not impossible. good luck.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He doesn't need a rabies shot to be out socializing. Start taking him places, work from a distance at first, take lots of treats and praise when he watches people and dogs and other new things. Gradually work closer to things. He needs to see all kinds of different people (different colors and genders, old and young, handicapped, tall and short, etc) dogs, other animals, and other sorts of things (loud trucks, balloons, sewage grates, etc)..

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO View Post
He doesn't need a rabies shot to be out socializing. Start taking him places, work from a distance at first, take lots of treats and praise when he watches people and dogs and other new things. Gradually work closer to things. He needs to see all kinds of different people (different colors and genders, old and young, handicapped, tall and short, etc) dogs, other animals, and other sorts of things (loud trucks, balloons, sewage grates, etc)..
If this dog has any chance of biting or nipping anyone then yes the rabies shot is needed, for his own protection.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
If this dog has any chance of biting or nipping anyone then yes the rabies shot is needed, for his own protection.
My point was that the OP made it sound like they have not done any socializing because the dog doesn't have a rabies shot-and that is not something you need to wait on before socializing.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would start here:
Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog

And more can be found in post 8:
New Dog, Very Challenging

I did this after my first GSD greeted company with a low growl!! In 12 years of dogiehood I had never had that "issue" before (Bully breeds) so it was a surprise to me! In GSD world not uncommon. They are not particularly found of "strangers" on their turf!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

We do take him for walks. He is very good during that time. He can see people out and about walking and he is fine. He ignores them. I guess it seems the problem is mainly at home. when I said socializing I meant that we aren't interactive with other people outside of our property with him woth us.I dont know how he would actually deal with people if i were to walk up and actually talk to someone. Im awful at explaining myself and giving the right details. Im sorry folks

Old 05-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Why has he not had a rabies yet? Get him his rabies shot, and get him out! Take lots of really amazing treats and every time you pass a new person give him a treat. Don't ask that he interact with anyone yet, just get to see people and a source if good things.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Why has he not had a rabies yet? Get him his rabies shot, and get him out! Take lots of really amazing treats and every time you pass a new person give him a treat. Don't ask that he interact with anyone yet, just get to see people and a source if good things.

We do talk him for walks. When I said socializing I meant he doesnt interact with other people. If you read my last comment it explains more.

We are making a vet appointment for next week. Our vet was out of town for 2 weeks.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaLS687 View Post
We do take him for walks. He is very good during that time. He can see people out and about walking and he is fine. He ignores them. I guess it seems the problem is mainly at home. when I said socializing I meant that we aren't interactive with other people outside of our property with him woth us.I dont know how he would actually deal with people if i were to walk up and actually talk to someone. Im awful at explaining myself and giving the right details. Im sorry folks

You explained it well. He's fine in public and an PSEUDO SWEARING at home with company.

Approach recommended is global it teaches a dog how you "expect" him to behave, it gives you control. Folks come over and tell the dog "go to bed"and "stay."

My guy is fine in public and not a fan of company but he is under my control and "knows" what I expect from him!

Last edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN; 05-18-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: pseudo swearing
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.