German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   6 m old puppy suddenly barking... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/450570-6-m-old-puppy-suddenly-barking.html)

chylinski 05-15-2014 01:34 PM

6 m old puppy suddenly barking...

I have a 6 month old male GSD that we have had since he was 2 months old, great dog. We love him and the feeling is mutual. Just lately he has found his voice and had begun barking at strangers. What really concerns me is that he really barks at little children. Hair up on the back of his neck, the whole nine yards. My own kids are grown up, 22 & 20, but I took him into Petco yesterday and there were these 2 little 2-3 year olds walking around with their parents. He pulled and barked like crazy trying to get to these kids. How can we get him to overcome this behavior?

wyoung2153 05-15-2014 02:02 PM

OP I would do a trial and sleep down with your dogs for a few nights and see if something changes. Sorry to say, but the wife not wanting the "dog smell" pretty much went out the window when she agreed to have 4 dogs. I'd definitely avoid the bark collar on a 4 month old puppy. Not of fan of them to begin with but that's just my opinion and me never having a super barky dog.

Does she get annoyed with the barking?

wyoung2153 05-15-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chylinski (Post 5522298)
I have a 6 month old male GSD that we have had since he was 2 months old, great dog. We love him and the feeling is mutual. Just lately he has found his voice and had begun barking at strangers. What really concerns me is that he really barks at little children. Hair up on the back of his neck, the whole nine yards. My own kids are grown up, 22 & 20, but I took him into Petco yesterday and there were these 2 little 2-3 year olds walking around with their parents. He pulled and barked like crazy trying to get to these kids. How can we get him to overcome this behavior?

I would get a good trainer to work with and do a lot of OB with him. He's 6 months old pretty easy to train at this point if you do it right.

Nigel 05-15-2014 03:17 PM

Never mind.

Sri 05-15-2014 03:47 PM

But if you are crating at night and day too, isnt that too much? I think people generally do only upto 8 hours a day?

Freddy 05-15-2014 03:58 PM

Lots of good advice in the comments above. I would repeat that it's not a good idea to put a bark collar and that young of a pup. When he's older if you choose to use it, it will have no effect on IPO barking. We have club members who remove theirs from the dog's neck literally when they are taking them out for their protection session. They use them so the dogs don't bark themselves out before it's their turn. When they get on the field and see the blinds, trust me, there is no problem barking.

sit,stay 05-15-2014 04:19 PM

I think the OP left the building many months ago.
Sheilah

sit,stay 05-15-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chylinski (Post 5522298)

I would start a thread of your own about this behavior. Or ask a Moderator to move your post to a thread of it's own?
Sheilah

Chip18 05-15-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sit,stay (Post 5522802)
I would start a thread of your own about this behavior. Or ask a Moderator to move your post to a thread of it's own?
Sheilah

This! :)

SuperG 05-15-2014 08:00 PM

Sounds like your pup has found a bit of bravado which he is exercising....

Might be a good time to temper his "swagger" appropriately.

SuperG