Enforcing "off" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Enforcing "off"

My puppy is now 4 1/2 months old. From the beginning we have told him "off" when he jumped up onto things or put his two huge front paws where they didnt belong. We would gently push him down while saying "off". Now that he is getting bigger he likes to put his head/paws up on the kitchen island to try and grab whatever he can get. Whenever I tell him "off" he seems to listen only %50 of the time, maybe less.
What is a better way to enforce this? Should I have him wear a leash in the house and give him a hard correction? Sometimes when I correct him for doing it and push him off he jumps right back up again. I swear he thinks he's funny...
daisyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Your pup is testing you, to see if you really mean it the second time or third. So be consistent - rules are rules. I do find it more productive to teach an alternative behavior. Pup jumps on counter, say off sharply - then before the pup can try again, have pup do a down/stay and reward that behavior. Slowly extend the time the pup is on the down/stay. It will help in the beginning to have the pup on a leash so you can step on the leash to stop him from jumping up again. The goal is that the pup will learn to lie down on the floor by the counter instead of jumping up because he has learned that he will get a reward for being good.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had a heck of a time teaching my golden off. He would grab stuff off the counter and bring it to me. He loved getting my phone. He is almost a year and he only attempts if now if I'm filling up the water bowl and he really wants it. I tell him off and he does a dance but knows hd isn't getting it until he stays put. The goal is to teach the dog off and reward when he obeys. I also agree with throwing another command out there if needed. I like being able to tell him off and he automatically sits/ stays, but he still dances in place
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Your dog thinks you talk too much. Trust me. He does. Friends and family may hang on your every word, but not your dog. Dogs have their own natural “language,”, but it doesn’t have words.dog language is visual. They communicate volumes with their posture, their tails, their eyes, and their ears. For this reason, their first instinct when trying to figure out what we want is to watch us; not to listen to us. Our constant talking is just noise to them.
Try following this simple rule. If you tell your dog to do something 5 times and he doesn’t do it 4 of those times, stop telling him to do it. Training happens every time we interact with our dogs, whether we notice it or not. If you keep calling your dog or telling him to get off the counter and he doesn’t listen, then you are actively training him to ignore you. We need to make our words count in dog training. So what do you do if you can’t repeat a command to a dog who is ignoring you? You change your focus, which leads to our second big difference between how dogs and humans experience the world.
If you want to make sense to your dog, you must learn to change direction on a dime. If your dog strands you at the dog park for an extra hour by refusing to come when called, for example, you’re going to be really frustrated. No matter how angry you are, you must praise and reward that dog when he finally comes. Because he associates your behavior with what he is doing right now, scolding will only make him less likely to come next time.have you tried clicker training? if you do, what i would do, is every time i say "OFF" and he listens i would click and treat. gsd do very good at learning clicker training.
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel7602 View Post
Try following this simple rule. If you tell your dog to do something 5 times and he doesn’t do it 4 of those times,.

I don't agree with this. A command should NEVER be repeated(not even once)you are not asking the dog to do something, you are telling them.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I don't agree with this. A command should NEVER be repeated(not even once)you are not asking the dog to do something, you are telling them.
What I'm trying to say is. If you have to tell your dog more then one time, you are teaching the dog to ignore you. I would most definitely tell my dog one thing. If he doesn't do it then I move him down, but if I say come and he doesn't, then I won't chase him because he will think it's a game. But if he dose do it I will treat him when I can get him or when he does come. That way he doesn't think coming to me will give him a negative response.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.