German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   My GSD puppy doesn't such much "affection" (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/450017-my-gsd-puppy-doesnt-such-much-affection.html)

devinh 05-14-2014 09:11 AM

My GSD puppy doesn't such much "affection"

Like the title states she doesn't show much "affection" to me or my wife. She will lick our faces occasionally but she doesn't like to really just be loved on. I know she is a puppy and wants to play a lot which is fine. I play with her soo much that as night when she goes in her crate she will cry for about 2-3 minutes and not a peep till I get her out(around 5:30am) my question is if this is normal for a GSD? I have had labs and pitbull terriers growing up and they always wanted "cuddle time" but not my GSD. She does like it when I hold a chew toy so she can chew on it which I think that is maybe a good bonding time?

This is my first GSD and she is awesome and I love her already very much. I just want to know if this is normal or should I be doing something different.

Thank you for any advise.

ana lucy hernandez 05-14-2014 09:14 AM

Showing affection

I know this is an old post..but..if your puppy was not shown affection at the kennel, she won't be used to it now. You have to give it time. My Wendy was a bit aloof. She's changed. But it took time!!! The breeder never spent much quality time with her!

devinh 05-14-2014 09:18 AM

Oh. I just posted this a few minutes ago. Thank you for the advise.

DutchKarin 05-14-2014 09:19 AM

My dutchie also took time... time to bond and really trust me. That was hard as I just said good-bye to my two Aussie companions that were such loves. But Tygo and I work hard at it and starting about 10 months old I started to see a change. Now at a year old he has a very sweet side. Just keep working with her in a fair and consistent way (and keep holding the chew toy!!!!), it will come.

intothevoiddd 05-14-2014 09:20 AM

Wish I had some good advice, but I'm actually seeing the same thing in my pup. He doesn't really care about cuddling or being praised with affection. He's more interested in play biting haha.

Although I have to say, he recently found out he likes belly rubs and that is bringing him around a little bit.

devinh 05-14-2014 09:22 AM

It's weird. She doesn't seem at all interested in just being loved on by anyone. I'm hoping she is just taking a little bit for her to warm up to us. Hopefully that's it. I have read that some GSDs just don't really care about affection. They like structure and play time. So for now that's what I'm giving her.

Sunflowers 05-14-2014 09:24 AM

Normal. Mine only became affectionate well after he was 1 1/2.
I always say with a GSD, you have to earn it :)

LoveEcho 05-14-2014 09:28 AM

Also agree that it's normal. My male didn't really have any interest in being loved on until he was over a year old. My female is six months now any only starting to be interested in affection- previously, she couldn't sit still long enough to cuddle :) I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

devinh 05-14-2014 09:30 AM

Well I'm relieved to hear this is normal. I am reading everything I can and talk to anyone and just soak up as much information I can about my little GSD puppy. Hopefully I am doing things right by her. I am trying everything I can to earn her trust.

Saphire 05-14-2014 09:59 AM

Yep my boy was NOT cuddly at all as a puppy. Things started to change around one year. Now at 17 months he has decided he would like to be a lap dog.