German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   9 week old bites my wife more than me. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/449257-9-week-old-bites-my-wife-more-than-me.html)

devinh 05-12-2014 08:48 AM

9 week old bites my wife more than me.
 
I am sure this has come up ALOT but I wanted to get opinions from the members on here.

My 9 week old GSD puppy seems to bite my wife more than me. She bites my wife's legs and toes a lot and only stops when I come to tell her to stop. She doesn't seem to care much about my wife telling her "no bite" but if I come over and say it she stops and walks away. I know she loves my wife since she will follow her around the house but she follows me too. Another example is if she grabs something she's not supposed to my wife can't get her to drop it. But if I grab it and make good eye contact and give her the "drop it or release" she will let it go. My wife seems to think she has "bonded" more to her since she follows her around and nips at her legs and toes.

Basically I'm asking what you guys think. Is the puppy more bonded to my wife and wants to play with her more and doesn't look at me as "fun" even though I take her outside and walk her and run with her. I know she loves me too but I am just curious as to what you guys think is the reason she nips at my wife more than me.

Thank you for any advice or feed back.

ApselBear 05-12-2014 11:04 AM

Dog bites wife and listens to husband... sounds like a well trained pup!
Just kidding lol

Sounds like a respect issue to me. Not a lack of bonding on your part. Your wife needs to start working on an expected response when she tells the dog to not bite. There are lots of threads and different articles on puppy biting and biting inhibition out there so have her do some homework. While she finds it cute and endearing now, in 2 weeks time the bites are going to become not so fun.

devinh 05-12-2014 11:16 AM

That's what I told her. She needs to be more consistent. Thanks for your input.

SuperG 05-12-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApselBear (Post 5507513)
Dog bites wife and listens to husband... sounds like a well trained pup!

We only have two local trainers which teach puppies that particular skill set.

I believe the name of the outfits are The Canine Chauvinist...the other is Misogyny & Man's Best Friend... and the schedules are super secret.

devinh...I think the only bonding going on is your puppy's teeth to your wife's feet and toes. Perhaps, your wife is filling the role of one of your pup's prior littermates.....so I guess there might be some "bonding" going on but not the type I would be thrilled about so much....I think what you are experiencing is rather common with many GSD owners amongst other breeds.

GSD puppies are quick studies on who they can exercise their needle-like puppy teeth on...and the notion of who is more "fun" might be interpreted as who is more likely to allow it to occur.

Your pup is just taking the most logical path to fulfill it's wishes and it is a problematic phase for many a GSD pup owner....but one which can be corrected with some patience, consistency, proper training and an environment where the two of you are on the same page regarding the remedy for this passing nuisance.

ApselBear's suggestion is sound advice and as stated there are multitudes of threads regarding your issue to be read in this forum.

SuperG

devinh 05-12-2014 11:40 AM

Thank you very much. I have told my wife that she has to be consistent and immediate on the "no bite" command. But she will get her toes nipped and she will just cover them up. It's frustrating to say the least. So I have been trying to where my puppy out. I take her on a long walk or I will run with her to wear her out and she comes in and crashes for hours. Everything I read is saying I'm doing things right as far as training and exercise but it seems like she goes to nip and play with my wife and looks at me more seriously I want her to have fun with me too.

SuperG 05-12-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devinh (Post 5507705)
Thank you very much. I have told my wife that she has to be consistent and immediate on the "no bite" command. But she will get her toes nipped and she will just cover them up. It's frustrating to say the least. So I have been trying to where my puppy out. I take her on a long walk or I will run with her to wear her out and she comes in and crashes for hours. Everything I read is saying I'm doing things right as far as training and exercise but it seems like she goes to nip and play with my wife and looks at me more seriously I want her to have fun with me too.

Covering her toes up probably just makes it more "fun" for the pup to get to them to bite them again...

How nice to have a pup take you "seriously"...the dividends you shall reap from this down the road will be more fun than you can imagine. In the mean time...much fun can be had without the presence of your pup biting on you. Lots of fun games you should be playing with your pup and many of these fun games can certainly be a basis for future training and proper behavior.

Maybe having your wife and you teach your pup to take a treat "nice" from your fingertips might be a good starting point in the quick cure for her present nipping problem. Puppy no take treat nicely..puppy get no treat..puppy takes treat nicely...puppy gets treat....associate a word with the training procedure and apply it in other instances. Just an idea....

SuperG

devinh 05-12-2014 12:00 PM

Thank you for your input. I think she takes me more seriously since she looks at my wife like a puppy and when me and her are alone together she just seems to have a more serious look to her. She is a great puppy and the envy of everyone she meets. I know she loves me. She follows me around a lot too. I guess since maybe I'm primarily the one teaching her to "release and drop it and no bite" she might see me differently. We do have fun together I think. We play fetch and I always bring her kong bones and stuff. I just hoping she bonds to both of us.

devinh 05-12-2014 12:30 PM

Another thing I have noticed is a lot of the times when I praise her or just pet her she will wag her tail and roll on her back and wants me to rub her belly. But she hasn't done it for my wife. I have read this could be a respect thing or a fear thing. Sorry for the overload of questions this isn't my first dog but it is my first dog with another person(wife) I have always had dogs with my immediate family and then it was just me.

Oliver'smom 05-12-2014 12:35 PM

My husband is convinced that Ollie bit him more and harder when going through the land shark phase. He thinks it is that Ollie doesn't like him as much. I disagree and think it was more about consistent discipline and not getting distracted. My husband would forget to keep a constant eye on our little land shark (iPhone, TV, whatever). As a result, it seemed to me Ollie took advantage and would nip him or furniture, shoes, basically whatever he could get to.

I'm less easily distracted, especially when protecting my digits, shoes and furniture are involved. The safety of my shoe collection inspired me to be very consistent on which things could be chewed. Luckily the worst of this resolved at about 6 months old. Now if you aren't paying enough attention to him, Ollie is more likely to start digging a hole in the yard or play keep away with whatever will get your attention.

Also, when Ollie doesn't finally wind down and snuggle up, it is almost always near my husband. So maybe those were love bites after all....

ApselBear 05-12-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5507657)
We only have two local trainers which teach puppies that particular skill set.

I believe the name of the outfits are The Canine Chauvinist...the other is Misogyny & Man's Best Friend... and the schedules are super secret.

devinh...I think the only bonding going on is your puppy's teeth to your wife's feet and toes. Perhaps, your wife is filling the role of one of your pup's prior littermates.....so I guess there might be some "bonding" going on but not the type I would be thrilled about so much....I think what you are experiencing is rather common with many GSD owners amongst other breeds.

GSD puppies are quick studies on who they can exercise their needle-like puppy teeth on...and the notion of who is more "fun" might be interpreted as who is more likely to allow it to occur.

Your pup is just taking the most logical path to fulfill it's wishes and it is a problematic phase for many a GSD pup owner....but one which can be corrected with some patience, consistency, proper training and an environment where the two of you are on the same page regarding the remedy for this passing nuisance.

ApselBear's suggestion is sound advice and as stated there are multitudes of threads regarding your issue to be read in this forum.

SuperG

I may or may not be the lead trainer at one or both of these outfits...:cool:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2