Help with socializing! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with socializing!

So my 15 week GSD Jenna seems to bark at everyone ( which I know is normal especially in a GSD) but when the person puts their hand so she can smell them she then snaps/growls at them as if she were to bite. I don't want ppl thinking she is dangerous or anything like that I want her to have her protective instinct ( one of the reasons I love/ choose this breed) but I also want her to be friendly with ppl. Is it it one way or the other? What can i do to make her ppl friendly. Also I want her to be able to play with other dogs but every time we go to puppy training at PetsMart she starts barking at another dog when she gets close to it she will stop start sniffing it then lunge at it with her paws and start barking. I don't want ppl to think she will harm their dog I just want her to play nice. what can I do to solve this?
Usmccasper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Have you started her in training classes yet? If you haven't, locate a trainer experienced with this breed and working dogs. Personally, I would avoid the petsmart trainers.

This is a great thread on socialization. Some very experienced breeders, trainers and owners participating. Take the time to read it - rethinking "popular" early socialization
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with some basic classes right away, this way she will be able to see other people and other dogs in a controlled setting. Maybe she is fearful, if so a trainer will help you come up with the best plan for your dog.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Is there any way you could get a trainer familiar with German Shepherds to check her out and help? It can be hard to figure out what's going on and what will help without a professional sometimes! Most importantly, is she barking and snapping out of fear, or something entirely different? Barking at everybody and every dog is not really normal behavior, even for a GSD! In addition to the link to the socialization thread below, I found this article really helpful:

Leerburg | Socializing Puppies

And, this article may be helpful with her too:
Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog

I had to use a private trainer with Jedda for a similar reason - she was barking and lunging at other dogs out of fear, and both what I learned from the trainer, and her growing up a little has worked for us. Good luck!
kjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do you have a few friends that would be willing to help you out? I would try walking her on a quiet street and having friends walk along as well as if they were a stranger. When they approach you and your puppy have them throw a high value treat near the puppy but keep walking. Dropping the treat should be their only interaction. You will have to use different friends wearing different clothes, so she doesn't associate good things coming from just one person. Once she is comfortable with this, you can change it up so that you are the one giving the treat, low and high value, or so that she only gets a treat if she hasn't barked.
Then work up to the passer by giving the treat by hand, and eventually so that if she sniffs their hand appropriately you are the one giving a treat so that she looks to you for rewards not the stranger.
With other dogs, I would find a friend that has an older well behaved dog that shows appropriate body language with other dogs, and arrange play dates. At your house or their house, or in a dog park at a time when you know that there will be nobody else around.
As other people have suggested find a good trainer near you, take your time checking them out and speak to people who have used them in the past. Good luck!
Baleato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.