German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Is my puppy getting wild? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/448226-my-puppy-getting-wild.html)

placeshifter 05-09-2014 11:19 AM

Is my puppy getting wild?

My sweet puppy who is now 9 weeks old is exhibiting annoying and worrying behavior -- is this normal?

1. She bites my toes, pant leg, sofa, chairs, shoes, etc. on a regular basis whenever she gets overly excited. Over and over again I say no, try to re-direct to another object, to no avail. I push her away from the furniture, yelp loudly when she bites my toes, removed myself from her when she tries to bite me, and have even tried to growl at her while grabbing her scruff. None of it seems to work.

2. Today she bit two visiting friends on their toes. Not a real bite but enough to sting. She then barked at them.

3. She growled a bit and barked at me today when I was giving food slowly out of my hand.

On the other hand, if I take her out for a walk, she just stops walking whenever someone walks by or a loud car passes and refuses to budge. She looks scared at times. I have to carry her.

Is this all normal or am I doing something wrong?

HarleyTheGSD 05-09-2014 12:12 PM

The biting is completely normal puppy behavior. On the board, they carry the title of "land shark" for obvious reasons. :)
How much are you socializing? To get your puppy accustomed to different noises and people, you need to take the pup to all sorts of places. Make it fun. Bring treats. When your pup gets curious or playful in a new environment, give a reward.

placeshifter 05-09-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5496089)
The biting is completely normal puppy behavior. On the board, they carry the title of "land shark" for obvious reasons. :)
How much are you socializing? To get your puppy accustomed to different noises and people, you need to take the pup to all sorts of places. Make it fun. Bring treats. When your pup gets curious or playful in a new environment, give a reward.

Can a puppy still get socialized just being carried around to the shopping mall, major streets, etc.?

Or do they have to be walk around? Because mine basically refuses to walk every 2-3 minutes.

Galathiel 05-09-2014 03:48 PM

It's better to carry a young pup anyways to avoid some contagious diseases that might be on the ground until they've had their shots. Socializing just means being exposed to many different things, they don't have to necessarily meet the dogs, interact with a lot of people.

car2ner 05-14-2014 06:07 AM

Placeshifter, that is exactly how my puppy behaved at 9 weeks! We were constantly trying new games, one after another, to keep him playing with stuff he was allowed to play with and not our legs, feet, etc. After awhile he started tearing up a large cardboard box. I sacrificed a tidy floor because it was harmless and it satisfied his urge. I also lived with bits of sweetgum tree seed pods and pinecones on the floor as he also tore those up in the house. It was worth it for some peace.

Now he is 5 months old and much more focused on his toys. He still likes to tear cardboard and thankfully only rips up the boxes I give to him. And I can actually enjoy petting my puppy without every touch being an invitation to wrestle and nip.

d4lilbitz 05-14-2014 06:58 AM

My puppy is 13 weeks old. I got him at 8 weeks. I find as he gets older he's coming into his own. Completely normal behavior you are experiencing. My pup chews on everything he can get his mouth on. My best advice is redirect, redirect, redirect. He's a puppy, some days he listens better than others when it comes to redirecting...its expected though! I have several pairs of pants with holes in them from him! Just last night, he was interested in shreading napkins...he was so interested in them took him several times before he quit returning to them lol.

When he was 8 weeks, I started to socialize him. Due to his age and activity level, I carried him most places...While he wasn't always able to walk...he was able to hear and see the environment. As he got older, he's got way more energy and is able to try things out. Several places I love taking him are to play grounds (newer ones with the really big jungle gyms for him to climb through), Tractor Supply, trails, Mt. Vernon, shopping centers, woods, and streams/rivers. I have had him exposed to loud noises, flashing lights, sirens, guns, other dogs, people, different surfaces, heights...so all of these things are nothing to him now. He is extremely confident in everything he does : )

Just stick with your puppy, it's still young : ) Keep up with your training and socializing you'll see progress!