German Shepherds Forum banner

I am at my wits end!!!!!

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  my boy diesel 
#1 ·
I have been at his for 5 weeks now and for the life of me i cannot get my 14 week old GSD potty trained. She holds it in side the crate but cant hold it for 2 mins inside the house i take her out 15-20 mins after she eats, first thing in the morning, right after we play. I even had her in the crate and would ONLY let her out to play outside, eat, and go to the bathroom to see if maybe she gets the concept. Ive heard of dogs going hours inside the house while the owners at work (i know her bladder is small) and NO ACCIDENTS but she can't even hold it for 10 mins. Ive heard she should be trained in 2 weeks TOPS!. Its been 5 WEEKS and she just peed by the door. She associates the door with the bathroom but wont hold it long enough for me to open the thing. I am SO frustrated. Is this normal? Am i doing something wrong?

#13 ·
I'm not sure how much time you've giving her to urinate outside but I had to stand out in my robe up to 20 minutes for my puppy to pee while I was potty training her. I would reward her and a huge amount of praise and treats, then inside for tug.

#14 ·
When I'm potty training my dogs, I take them outside constantly. Literally I would be outside with the puppy every 20-30 minutes. And I took them out every time they woke up, and right after they ate or got a drink. They never got a chance to have an accident in the house, since I was constantly going outside with them. Yes, it's time consuming, but puppies are.

#20 ·
This is exactly the way we did it. Also they would get nothing to eat or drink after 10pm. Took about two weeks to train this way. Once they got the hang of it I leave water avail. 24 hrs and they get free roam of the house at all times and never have accidents.

#15 ·
I have been at his for 5 weeks now and for the life of me i cannot get my 14 week old GSD potty trained. She holds it in side the crate but cant hold it for 2 mins inside the house i take her out 15-20 mins after she eats, first thing in the morning, right after we play. I even had her in the crate and would ONLY let her out to play outside, eat, and go to the bathroom to see if maybe she gets the concept. Ive heard of dogs going hours inside the house while the owners at work (i know her bladder is small) and NO ACCIDENTS but she can't even hold it for 10 mins. Ive heard she should be trained in 2 weeks TOPS!. Its been 5 WEEKS and she just peed by the door. She associates the door with the bathroom but wont hold it long enough for me to open the thing. I am SO frustrated. Is this normal? Am i doing something wrong?

This caught my attention, she does know what you want, she's going to the door.
When I am potty training pups I keep them confined to a smaller area by the door to allow me to get them out quicker. After a vet has ruled out any medical cause try keeping her tethered or crated. Interrupt play after about 10 mins with a happy 'lets go pee' and move the party outside. Some pups get so involved in play that they forget until it's urgent and then depending on the size of your house, the door is just too far away. Dogs are all different, they learn and develop at different rates. There is no set schedule and although 'most' pups should get in a few weeks, that isn't a rule. Accidents should be expected for the next few months, they will just become infrequent.

#17 ·
I agree with the tethering on a leash and no roaming in the house. Sounds like it might be bad timing thing also. Some things I have done in the past seemed to help. Assuming there are no health problems and the crate is near the door. Open the door to go out before you open the crate. Once you open the crate get her out of there pronto even if you have to carry her. Have you tried to collect her inside accidents and take them outside to the same place? It is kind of funny but I always called out score when things worked out right.

#18 ·
Ok so so far I have been doing some tethering and some crating during the day and clicker training when she goes potty and no accidents so far...I just took her out now and when I walked towards the door she got there before me and started scratching on it (something she never did before) so I am relived that there IS progress. thank you to all of you for your advice and support. Good to know that there is a helpful community out there!

#19 ·
I think that 14 weeks is a bit young to bee frustrated? Some take longer, much much longer. Just make sure you take the pup out after meals, nap and play. Every hour at least!

#21 ·
Ok so here is an update!!! I have been taking her out every 20 min or so, after playing, after drinking water. After she eats I crate her for about an hour while her food settles, then I take her out again and so far I've gone a whole week with no accidents if she needs to go then she goes to the door! NOW she is going to the door and barking!!!! Hallelujah!!!!!! She is 16 weeks now and is doing great! I should of done this from the bit go but my lazyness got the best of me. Now I know for my next GSD ( which will be in a 1yr and 6 months)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.