German Shepherds Forum banner

My aggressive puppy

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MaggieRoseLee 
#1 ·
Jenna is 14 weeks old and when I first got her (at 9weeks) she was super friendly. I mean she barked at you if you came near, but once you let her smell you she melted and would start kissing you and wanting to play. Now she will bark at you and then smell your hand and continue barking and growling. I have two boys (5 and 7) and she gets along fine with them. I am house training her with a crate and would let her out for too long and she would have too many accidents. So I decided that for one week she would be in the crate and I would only let her out to eat, go to the bathroom, and to exercise; other than that she is in the crate. I don't know if maybe this new method of mine of keeping her in the crate has triggered her aggression. Please if anyone has advice or input i would love to hear from you.

#2 ·
It's difficult to say if your pup is truly aggressive, or needs a LOT more exercise. At that age, I tend to believe it is not aggression at all, just a puppy that isn't getting enough exercise.

Think along the line of your two boys. If I came over at 8:00 p.m., and gave them each a Red Bull and a bag full of chocolate minitures and told them "I want you to finish your Red Bull and your candy and then go to sleep." What do you think would happen?

#3 ·
Read puppy section. She's not aggressive. Opinionated, maybe. Aggressive, not likely. Is she your first GSD puppy?

By keeping her in the crate except to potty, eat and exercise, she's not getting what she needs from you to grow mentally. She needs time with you, training can begin, socialization to sights, sounds, smells, etc. She needs to be able to bond with you. Look into flirt poles.

A tired puppy is a good puppy.

#6 ·
I would like you to forget the word 'aggression' and just know you have a normal reactive puppy. Who barks.

This is fixed by creating life experiences, training (good for you for being in classes) and continues socialization. Isolation in the crate is NOT adding to anything (but makes things easier for us cause the crate is their friend/trainer/experience.).

I have a 17 week old puppy myself so know what I'm talking about. Just this week she decided that BARKING at new dogs/people is the way to go (not all of them btw). It's not agression though. It's her trying out a new thing as her brain grows and personality expands. I'm not crating her more because of it.

I only crate at night, when no one is home during the day, and if I need a breather to get something done and the puppy is NOT helping :) . Otherwise, I got a puppy and it's my job to spend the time with it to teach it, expose it to things, and guide her thru this new world while her baby brain is growing.

I'm carrying a pocket full of treats (mostly kibble :) ) as I type this and am constantly feeding them to her during the day. Constantly having teeny training sessions during the day. Mostly just loving on her and telling her how PERFECT she is during the day. And encouraging when she lies down and is calm with a toy on the many dog beds (one per room actually).

Have you had a chance to read thru this yet? -->http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...191183-top-training-expectations-puppies.html specially the last part with the socialization.

We are currently taking puppy classes

First we have class. Then the pups all play. THEN I go out with Osin (my pups) brother Odin and his person (Sue) and we walk around at Petsmart for awhile. Or on the canal for awhile. Or last week we went to the local farmers market for about an hour. Saturday is for my puppy for now, and the more time I can spend with her now, the less problems will rear their head later on.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.