Puppy just won't stop biting! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy just won't stop biting!

Hi there, I have had my puppy for a week and he is now 9 weeks old. I love him already but he just won't stop biting! I know this is normal for a puppy and I have received all kinds of advice. I have tried everything from yelping when he bites, ignoring, standing up and moving away (every time I do this he just bites me ankles and feet), saying 'no' firmly. I have also tried closing his mouth briefly and saying no but he just thinks I'm playing.

If anything, my saying no excites him and results in him barking!

I know I haven't had him for very long so this is all new to him, but my arms are now covered in little puncture wounds and any further advice would be a blessing!
charli_choo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

This is what MOST of our GSD puppies do and it's just playing. So we need to teach a better (and less painful) way for them to play with us.

Just click on --- > Puppy biting... Hints and tips to help

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charli_choo View Post
Hi there, I have had my puppy for a week and he is now 9 weeks old. I love him already but he just won't stop biting! I know this is normal for a puppy and I have received all kinds of advice. I have tried everything from yelping when he bites, ignoring, standing up and moving away (every time I do this he just bites me ankles and feet), saying 'no' firmly. I have also tried closing his mouth briefly and saying no but he just thinks I'm playing.

I know I haven't had him for very long so this is all new to him, but my arms are now covered in little puncture wounds and any further advice would be a blessing!
I won't say "it's normal" because you've clearly been told that plenty of times

My boy is 12 weeks old now, we got him when he was 9 weeks. He was exactly the same as yours....if we yelped or walked away it would egg him on even more! If we shut him outside the door on his own (in an area he couldn't wreck or harm himself in), he would "demonstrate" by soiling the carpets and pulling up wires. We would try to re direct him to toys - totally un-interested! You have to get to the root of his biting...yes it's because he's a puppy...but is it because he's over excited or because he's stressed? We've ONLY JUST found something that works...time out in crate. If you have a crate, I would highly recommend the following!

So, if he's biting -

- Calmly lead him to his crate

- Upon him entering the crate close the door

- Walk away and ignore any whining

- after a minute or two (or when he's calmed down) say "nice quiet" or "good quiet" and throw a treat in

-Open the crate door but give absolutely no attention or noise. Walk away

- After a minute of being calm outside the crate tell him "good boy" and pet him.

No, it's not a punishment (never use the crate as punishment). It's simply a time out for him to "reset". Obviously repeat if he carries on. He should get the hang of it. It didn't take Finnick that long Hope it works for you if you try it.

The crate gives him the chance to reset and emerge in a more calm manor. Just think of puppies as toddlers! So far, it totally has worked.

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Chloe & Princess the Kitties
Fred & George the Ferrets
FuzzButtMum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

When R.D. was a pup, my arms looked like I had gone 10 rounds with a shark. We tried everything and nothing worked at first. But with steady "No", saying "Ow" and turning my back on him and not giving him attention, he eventually outgrew it. He is now the most loving and gentle "lap dog" you could ever ask for.
drosado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Is he just mouthing or biting down hard? Mine just mouths without hurting at all, but we are working on stopping that now. Can't have a 90 pound dog mouth me....the only time it hurts is when I'm trying to give him a treat and he is overly excited to take it....working on that right now.
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
Is he just mouthing or biting down hard? Mine just mouths without hurting at all, but we are working on stopping that now. Can't have a 90 pound dog mouth me....the only time it hurts is when I'm trying to give him a treat and he is overly excited to take it....working on that right now.
He bites down pretty hard and those little razor puppy teeth of his are veeerrry painful when they catch skin!

This is actually our only issue, he's catching onto toilet training incredibly fast and it took barely ten minutes to teach him some basic commands. He even sleeps through the night which I hear is a blessing

Thanks for all the advice guys, I actually haven't tried crate training yet but I think that's our next step. My question regarding crates though, is how do I make him view it as his own space to calm down instead of a punishment?
charli_choo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Do you feed in the crate? I did that and within a few weeks he was seeing the crate as home and would go in there late at night "bed time" on his own.

I read that if you bring him to the crate calmly and cheerfully and give the crate command, he won't see it as punishment.

I usually put a treat in the crate and say "crate" and he follows it in. I close the door and give him another treat. I walk away. He seems fine with that.
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charli_choo View Post

Welcome to the club , "we have jackets." Love the little land shark. Mine still bites and he is 13 weeks. I've also tried everything. the only thing that works for me is to smack his muzzle with my finger. Now, if he tries to bite I will point at him and say no, and he stops. But, at first try everything. I think this is only for when everything else fails. Good luck on your lovely land shark.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel7602 View Post
. I think this is only for when everything else fails.

Does that include biting back?

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Does that include biting back?

SuperG
Unless they taste like bAcOn , this I hadn't tried.

Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.