I must admit I feel a little hurt..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I must admit I feel a little hurt.....

We've had Finnick for almost 4 weeks now it's going very well, apart from the normal puppy biting etc! That's still being taken care of lol

I just wonder sometimes if my love for Finnick is reciprocated? I mean, he definitely likes me...he sits on my lap and gives me kisses (and puppy bites) but he never gets overly excited when i've been gone and come back. I just get a little tail wag and short greet. Earlier today, my neighbor came in to visit us.....well, I have NEVER seen Finnick so ecstatically happy to see someone, his whole body was wagging along with his tail and he was just oozing excitement! He couldn't control himself! Don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVE that he is happy with strangers and is so accepting of them, he let's everyone stroke and talk to him including children, which he sits very nicely so they can pet him, but I can't help but feel a little hurt....I know it's stupid!!

I just don't get any of this excitement for me is it because a stranger gives him pure attention and I am the one who is in charge and punishes him (time outs when needed etc) and he knows not to push me. Or is ist just that he likes everyone else far much more than me? We play with each other plenty and I take him on his daily walks and do his daily training. We spend all the time together!!

I am currently at home all the time with him, so maybe when I go for a little while and come back it's not so exciting because he's with me all the time anyway? I'm boring lol.

Is this normal? Is it still because he's young? I think we've definitely bonded but I just can't help but feel i'm him least favorite person

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Chloe & Princess the Kitties
Fred & George the Ferrets
FuzzButtMum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

IMO Finnick is still young and that aloof, not-so-keen-on-strangers trait hasn't kicked in for your pup yet. To me it seems normal.

You're so cute though! It made me smile that you feel like that...you really love him, huh?!?

<3
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's like that with our children too. They tend to take us for granted until they are off to college and realize that moms are pretty awesome.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hehe both true do you think he will change with age as he gets older?

Maybe I need to go away for a week just to get an excited greeting :P

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Old 05-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would think that it isn't good for them to get all riled up when you come home. Mine do the same thing though, and I felt just the way you do. It has been said to me that it's an issue of respect of your space and your place as the leader as well as a security issue. Your pup is secure with you. Having had plenty of opportunity to watch mine react when someone comes home, they jump and go nuts on everyone but me. They also all but disregard everyone else's commands too. Trust me, your pup loves you!
A girl and her dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzButtMum View Post

It's hard to say if he'll change. But from my experience most dogs do...C:

From what I've read, dogs don't experience time the same way we do. So if you leave for a week or for 10-15 minutes, he might(?) not see the difference...But, have you seen those videos of troops returning home after a long deployment to their beloved dogs? Makes me wonder if they do have a sense of time...Do you ever leave him...? You could try leaving for 10-15 minutes to get that reaction out of him if you want...
Old 05-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A girl and her dog View Post
I would think that it isn't good for them to get all riled up when you come home. Mine do the same thing though, and I felt just the way you do. It has been said to me that it's an issue of respect of your space and your place as the leader as well as a security issue. Your pup is secure with you. Having had plenty of opportunity to watch mine react when someone comes home, they jump and go nuts on everyone but me. They also all but disregard everyone else's commands too. Trust me, your pup loves you!
Oh so trueeee!!!

Great post C:
Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you both of you! Made me feel much better

If that's the case, then I'm happy with that...we respect each other then!

I don't leave him that often yet, but i'm trying to increase the times that I do leave him....he's crate training still, too. I so love that he seems to be so friendly towards others but I must admit I do stand there watching, getting very jealous :P silly really, isn't it!

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Old 05-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzButtMum View Post

Dax sure has. He would be like "Oh hi.... it's you again." and now he wags his tail happily though he's still not a big tail wagger unless its a small child or stranger *ugh!* but now he gets that dopey cant stay still I love you oh so much scratch here and here and over here and KISSES thing going on. I saw a change in him when he was about 5 months old and it's progressed from there.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
Dax sure has. He would be like "Oh hi.... it's you again." and now he wags his tail happily though he's still not a big tail wagger unless its a small child or stranger *ugh!* but now he gets that dopey cant stay still I love you oh so much scratch here and here and over here and KISSES thing going on. I saw a change in him when he was about 5 months old and it's progressed from there.
Thank you that's nice to know!

I bet it's nice to finally be greeted with some love and excitement The things they put us through, eh!

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.