Some new puppy questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Some new puppy questions

Hi,

We are feeling quite overwhelmed...from what I've been reading, it sounds pretty normal

Just curious other's experiences on when they start sleeping through the night (and how many hours you consider sleeping through the night), as well as biting and house training. She is 10 weeks old now.

It's difficult when she's constantly getting into things. She seems to need to pee constantly - sometimes every 20 minutes. Is this pretty typical? We take her out often, she bites when she has to pee/poop, but she still has one accident or so a day still.

How often do you crate your puppy a day? I've read 3-4 hours max at this age...we only do it in the early morning after she has gone out again, to try to get some sleep, as well as lately, when she needs a nap, but can't settle (and bites everything and everyone instead

When does it start getting a bit easier? Yes, we train and exercise her. She already knows come, sit, down, and is starting to learn find it, leave it, drop, crate. She has had her first obedience class as well.
We do have a 9 year-old, but he was 6 months when we got him...so we missed some of this, although he was untrained and had other issues and chewed everything...he slept through the night and was house trained. He knows quite a few words, knows the spellings even of quite a few words, and we can teach him something in 1-3 days. We worked with him a lot when we rescued him, we understand the importance of early training

Thanks, this forum is so helpful!
noahsmommy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jazzy was a sleeper from day 1, Delgado on the other hand had a recharge time of 0.3 seconds A 5 minute nap and he was good to go for another 3-4 hours so sleeping through the night took a while before he got the hang of it. He was about 4 months before he slept consistently through the night, about 6 months before he would also sleep in past 6 in the morning That occasion was marked with great fanfare lol

I always crate pups in my room, that way I wake up if they need anything. If I hear them stirring or whining I would throw on the clothes I had at the foot of the bed along with slippers and a coat, clip a leash on and pick the pup out and straight outside. Then as soon as they were done doing their business it was up in my arms and back to bed. No praise or talking, just up and out and back to bed. They learned quickly that getting up at night didn't get them any attention or fun

I also made sure that they were good and tired, had a long potty break then a small treat and into the crate they went. Most nights they could barely keep their eyes open and that made for a good long sleep. He would still wake up with the sun but he was content playing with toys and chasing butterflies so I could sit and relax while he wore himself out.

Going every 20 minutes is quite a bit, have you had her checked for a UTI?

3-4 hours sounds about right for that age, Delgado had to have forced naps as well. If he just fell asleep on the floor he would be up and about at the first twitch of something while in his crate he could sleep 2+ hours without a fuss.

Honestly, not anytime soon. Delgado was a holy terror of a pup until 10 months, then he slowly got better and better. Now he's just over 2 and just about perfect, but that's with consistent work and praise even now - obedience training never stops at a magic age It will hit a point where you realize that you haven't heard a peep for over 2 hours and you'll look over your shoulder and they'll be sleeping contently in a corner or on their bed, or just playing with a toy quietly. Or you'll say a command without really paying attention and they'll snap to attention in a moment to obey and surprise you. It'll come, have patience

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmommy2007 View Post
Hi,

We are feeling quite overwhelmed...from what I've been reading, it sounds pretty normal

Just curious other's experiences on when they start sleeping through the night (and how many hours you consider sleeping through the night), as well as biting and house training. She is 10 weeks old now.

It's difficult when she's constantly getting into things. She seems to need to pee constantly - sometimes every 20 minutes. Is this pretty typical? We take her out often, she bites when she has to pee/poop, but she still has one accident or so a day still.

How often do you crate your puppy a day? I've read 3-4 hours max at this age...we only do it in the early morning after she has gone out again, to try to get some sleep, as well as lately, when she needs a nap, but can't settle (and bites everything and everyone instead

When does it start getting a bit easier? Yes, we train and exercise her. She already knows come, sit, down, and is starting to learn find it, leave it, drop, crate. She has had her first obedience class as well.
We do have a 9 year-old, but he was 6 months when we got him...so we missed some of this, although he was untrained and had other issues and chewed everything...he slept through the night and was house trained. He knows quite a few words, knows the spellings even of quite a few words, and we can teach him something in 1-3 days. We worked with him a lot when we rescued him, we understand the importance of early training

Thanks, this forum is so helpful!
Yep, she sounds very normal

We got Finnick when he was 8 weeks old, he's 12 weeks old now <3

He kept waking and wanting reassurance for the first night....the second night onward he slept all the way through! I think we're very lucky though, as I don't think that's normal. He now sleeps from about 11pm (then I normally go to bed and take him about 2am) then he wakes up between 8 and 11 lol!! Sometimes I wake up WAYYYYY before him and have to wake him up!

He's crated when he naps during the day, to get him used to it and so that I can do things without him weaving in and out of my legs and stealing the broom etc!

If she's getting int everything, and you're struggling with that problem, then I'd suggest using a "house line"...basically a long length of leash that trails behind her on the floor, so that you can easily pick it up and lead her away from whatever she's doing that you don't want her to do! (it MUST NOT have a loop or handle on the end, as she could catch it on things and severely hurt herself). You can get them on Amazon

Hope that helps? Other than that, sounds like you have a very normal, cute pup!

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Chloe & Princess the Kitties
Fred & George the Ferrets
FuzzButtMum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Some new puppy questions

Every 20 mins was normal here esp if they are running and playing. 3-4 hours is fine I never left that long in a crate and Sleeping through the night about 3 months old maybe sooner. My boy slept through the night in the first few weeks.

It gets so much easier. 10 weeks is tough. Hang in there by 3-4 months it gets easier
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by mydogs; 05-07-2014 at 11:18 PM.
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Puppies are really hard, but they grow fast (thank goodness).

I actually set my alarm at night. So puppy in crate at around 10 pm right beside my bed. Then my alarm goes off at 3 am and we go out for a quick pee then right back into the crate for the rest of the night.

The more training, exercise and socialization I can play for the day, the more sleep everyone gets and the better behaved that darn pup is!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone, thankful for your advice and tips!
noahsmommy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmommy2007 View Post
Hi,

Yes, it is - puppies are a lot of work!

Quote:
We got Dena and Keefer at 9 weeks old and Halo at 10 weeks old. Dena only got us up at night twice, after that she slept through the night, which for us was when we went to bed at 10 or 11, until we got up for work at 5 or 5:30. Keefer took longer but I don't recall how much. He tended to fuss longer before falling asleep and I had to get up at least once a night for a few weeks, sometimes twice. We tried picking up the water dish by 8 or 9 so he didn't drink a bunch before bed but he'd whine because he was thirsty. Of course if he drank a bunch of water before bed he'd wake up and whine to go out several times. Halo was once or twice a night for awhile too. It took Dena about a month before she stopped having accidents in the house, Keefer about two months, and Halo about 3 months. It seemed like FOREVER!!!

Quote:

It is hard when they need to be constantly supervised or they'll have an accident or chew something they shouldn't. That won't last forever but it can be frustrating. We probably only did 3 or 4 hours at a time at at that age, except for at night. I'd also crate for shorter periods when I needed to get stuff done, like take a shower or make dinner or clean. Don't feel bad about that, as long as she's spending plenty of time out of her crate it's not going to harm her if you need a little break.

Quote:
For me, the "magic" age was around 6 months. By then, they were reliably housebroken as long as we continued taking them out fairly often, and didn't need to be watched every second. They had at least one and sometimes two series of puppy classes by then so they knew some simple OB commands and had better attention spans.

As far as chewing, that varied greatly. Sneaker and Cassidy were bad chewers, Dena and Keefer were not. Especially Dena, I can't recall her every destroying anything. My husband was leaving his shoes laying around when she was probably only 3 months old or so, and she never chewed them. If I turned around and discovered she'd left the room I'd find her laying calmly on the floor in another room chewing one of her bones. She was super easy as puppies go. Sneaker had a typical year to year and a half of destructive chewing but then never did it again. Cassidy was horrid - we literally couldn't leave her alone for 2 minutes or she'd have shredded something. She also had a secondary chewing phase months after she had stopped, or so we thought. She did finally outgrow it though. Keefer was nearly as good as Dena, but Halo is still a naughty girl at 5 years old! She's fine with shoes and stuff, but she would steal eyeglass, potholders, TV remotes and things like that off tables and counters. We knew better than leaving food around in the kitchen but several times she stole knives off the counter because they smelled like food. She also chewed the pocket off a couple of Tom's teeshirts that he left on the bedroom floor (bad husband, BAD! ) that must have had treats in them.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
njk

My partner and I were incredibly overwhelmed when we first got our pup. Ours is 6 months now, and I'd say it's gotten so much easier over the past month and a half. Ours took awhile (compared to others on this forum) to sleep through the night, so I got very little sleep the first couple of months. But she sleeps through the night now just fine, no issues (I will add we didn't crate train - our bedroom is small and we have a puppy gate in our doorway, so we felt she was confined).

The biting was a pain, our girl was an amazing blood-drawing biter. I bruise easily so couldn't wear skirts or shorts in the first couple of months. She still uses her mouth but doesn't put pressure, unless she's playing a bit rough with my partner. But he stops the fun and games if she does make a hard bite, and she's quick to start licking him in apology. We've taught her (or are teaching her still rather) 'gentle', which I think is a good command to teach.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fawn was intense for the first three months. On top of not having a full night of sleep for months was more challenge than I expected.

She is now 4 1/2 months and all of a sudden is much easier. I'm so used to waking up around 1:00 AM to take her out, I still wake up but it could be midnight, it could be 3:00 AM and she'll go potty and come back in and sleep. I've started leaving her outside her crate at night to sleep on a pillow and she'll come bother me in bed if she needs to go out. She's only had one accident in the last month and that was my fault for being preoccupied and ignoring her fussing.

She bites hands less but bites ankles more. I end up pausing walking more often than not until she loses interest. But at least I have more sleep and more patience to deal with her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.