German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Peeing problem... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/447266-peeing-problem.html)

coulter 05-07-2014 01:19 AM

Peeing problem...

Ok I'll try to explain this as easily as possible. My wife and I moved in with her parents until June when we close on our first new house(yay!) anyways, her parents have a 3 story house which of course our room is top story, so I have to take the two dogs all the way to the bottom every morning to go outside to potty. No problem for Sage (1.75yrs) but Ryker the 18week old, as soon as we hit the last flight of stairs that lead straight outside he starts peeing. All. The. Way. Down.
It doesn't matter if I ignore it or yell ah-ah!!! He will still do it morning after morning. Then I started carrying him the last few days, which is getting harder and harder to carry him 3 stories since he is already 46lbs, it worked fine the first two days but now he just pees on me as I'm carrying him down the last flight of stairs..... HELP PLEASE!

What do I do? How do I train this out of him? I treat and praise him every time he goes outside. And he rarely has any accidents inside.

Thank you.

Apoolutz 05-07-2014 06:12 AM

He needs a potty break in the middle of the night,then he won't have to go so bad that he can't even walk without going

Sunflowers 05-07-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoolutz (Post 5483762)
He needs a potty break in the middle of the night,then he won't have to go so bad that he can't even walk without going

4 1/2 months?
:confused:

What I would do is create him at the bottom of the stairs so that he doesn't have such a long way to go until he reaches the pee place.

K9POPPY 05-07-2014 08:51 AM

You can always use a Depends- saves you from being peed on-

coulter 05-07-2014 04:04 PM

He's 4 1/2 months old. I don't think I should have to take him out halfway through the night. He has no trouble holding it all night, he sleeps on the bed with access to the floor. We walk down the stairs through the long house then start going down the last set of stairs and that is where he always pees. It's like it's stuck in his head that he can pee in that staircase. I just don't know how to get him to break that habit

Jax08 05-07-2014 04:08 PM

Is there a different way to go out?

And how well was the pee cleaned up? Did you use enzymes to kill the smell?

coulter 05-07-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5486858)
Is there a different way to go out?

And how well was the pee cleaned up? Did you use enzymes to kill the smell?

There is a front door. But it's just as far or farther lol so that won't help. I could try going out that way to see what he does though. I'm just wondering if the anticipation of peeing is so great once he gets to that last set if stairs that he can't hold it? You know, like for humans you have to pee worse the closer you get to the toilet.

Jax08 05-07-2014 04:15 PM

Maybe. But he may have formed a habit to start peeing at that spot if he's peeing on you. So I would try taking him out a different way and see if that throws him a bit.

If that doesn't work, can you crate him downstairs at night so he's closer to the door until he stops doing this? The more he does it, the harder it will be to stop.

Jax08 05-07-2014 04:16 PM

And when do you take the water away from him at night? I would pick it up about 3 hours before you go to bed.

coulter 05-08-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5486946)
Maybe. But he may have formed a habit to start peeing at that spot if he's peeing on you. So I would try taking him out a different way and see if that throws him a bit.

If that doesn't work, can you crate him downstairs at night so he's closer to the door until he stops doing this? The more he does it, the harder it will be to stop.

I'll try taking him out the other door.
I could try crating him. He's never slept alone before so I worry he would keep all the In-laws awake all night.