Did I traumatize my puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did I traumatize my puppy?

She had not been cleaned in 8 weeks so on her 3rd day at my home, I gave her a gentle puppy shower using treats to keep her still.

She was calm with the body but started crying, whimpering, and hiding when the water went over her face.

After that, I took a shower while I let her out, and she was crying and whimpering outside for a few minutes.

I know they're most sensitive at this stage. Is this going to traumatize her? She seemed very curious to go right back into the bathroom and shower (once the shower was off) so she doesn't seem to scared of the room.

Also, she's been biting and chewing shoes, bed frames, carpets, wires, and other items when she gets excited in the US. With the bed frame and other stationary objects, I always push her firmly away with a "NO". Sometimes she falls to her side and then lies with her belly exposed when I push her like this.

Is this bad to do? I don't want to make her aggressive as she grows up but I don't know any other way to get her to stop these things as she will not take a toy when she has her jaws glued to the bed mattress for example.

Thank you.
placeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Your pup just left momma and will cry for many things these next few days. Maybe even longer. I'm surprised the breeder didn't bathe your pup when you picked her up. She'll be just fine. She's young and now you have to focus on building a foundation and start training. I shower my boy once every few months. So it'll be a while before you shower her. She'll be a bit bigger by then and might enjoy it. Enjoy your pup and good luck!!
ragu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

our last pup cried, whimpered and barked at everything for a week and a half. just homesickness.

you're going to have to pretty much follow the pup around for a couple weeks taking away from her everything she can't chew on. you'll get frustrated but don't show it. get everything that can be moved where she can't get to them. tuck all wires away that you can. get some baby gates up, close all doors and keep her in eye sight for the first couple months. good luck!
scarfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

in a week or 2 you're prolly going to start questioning your decision on getting a little puppy but in like 2 months you'll never be happier. she's going to be trying to get in the trash, take things off the coffee table and now is the time to correct these behaviors or you'll end up with a nightmare dog.
scarfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by placeshifter View Post
Also, she's been biting and chewing shoes, bed frames, carpets, wires, and other items when she gets excited in the US. With the bed frame and other stationary objects, I always push her firmly away with a "NO". Sometimes she falls to her side and then lies with her belly exposed when I push her like this.
What you are doing here is scaring the day lights out of her. You don't want to do that. You want to be firm, but not to the point that she's falling over and completely submitting to you. Check yourself. You are either being too loud or too rough or possibly both at the same time.

You want her to chew. Her baby teeth are getting ready to come out and her adult teeth and budding. Her teeth and gums are really bothering her. She also learns by using her mouth. Chewing isn't bad. Chewing the WRONG things are bad. So instead of scaring her by pushing and hollering, tell her firmly 'No' and then give her something that belongs to her that she can chew on. So you are telling her, "No, you can't chew on my table, but you can chew on this toy." It is called 'redirecting'.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't make a big deal out of it and she won't either. It was just a bath

Fighting with me to get a bath is not an option - I just put Rusty's little butt in there and got it done. The crying/whining is normal - but just work through it - no coddling.

You will want her to tolerate ear cleanings, grooming, nail clippings, being handled at the vet.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
What you are doing here is scaring the day lights out of her. You don't want to do that. You want to be firm, but not to the point that she's falling over and completely submitting to you. Check yourself. You are either being too loud or too rough or possibly both at the same time.

You want her to chew. Her baby teeth are getting ready to come out and her adult teeth and budding. Her teeth and gums are really bothering her. She also learns by using her mouth. Chewing isn't bad. Chewing the WRONG things are bad. So instead of scaring her by pushing and hollering, tell her firmly 'No' and then give her something that belongs to her that she can chew on. So you are telling her, "No, you can't chew on my table, but you can chew on this toy." It is called 'redirecting'.
So this would mean basically prying her jaw loose and then placing a toy in it. Which I've tried. But then she just drops the toy goes back right to the bed frame.
placeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by placeshifter View Post
So this would mean basically prying her jaw loose and then placing a toy in it. Which I've tried. But then she just drops the toy goes back right to the bed frame.
No. You have to redirect. You need to make her think the toy you have is the coolest thing ever. She doesn't know that. You have to teach her.

I had a difficult pup. I used a hand puppet. The hand puppet stayed on my body for nearly three months. I used the hand puppet to help get him off the wrong objects and put him on the right objects. The hand puppet was not his to play with alone. Only with me. So it made it special.

He is two now and NEVER chews up anything that isn't his. NEVER. I didn't ever have to smack him or scare him or holler at him. Not because I'm a special trainer, or he's a special dog, just because I was consistant in training.

Also - when I couldn't keep an eagle eye on him, he was crated.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Whenever possible have the puppy leashed to you. Also have a proper chew toy handy at all times, either in your pocket or stash several all around the house where you can get to them quickly. When the pup is chewing the couch, chair, pillow, whatever - a firm no then give the pup the correct chew toy and praise him if he keeps it in his mouth. If he tries to go right back to chewing the wrong thing - repeat the above over and over. Don't grab him and yell at him or shake him - that is overdoing it. He is a baby. If you can't be with him whenever he is loose, then crate him. Pups and full grown dogs love their crates - it is their own room so to speak and they should feel comfortable there. Sometimes you may have to count to ten to hold your temper when the pup just ruined the new pair of shoes you were planning to wear to a special occasion but then stop and think- were the shoes put away? or were the shoes on the floor where the puppy finds toys? Don't give up - this stage will pass and then you will have to face the other stages - LOL! Good luck.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

On leash or tethered to you when in the house, crate when you can't supervise. Get an expen and put him in there with toys he can have
Prevents a lot of stress for both of you.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.