How many hours does your puppy sleep? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How many hours does your puppy sleep?

I just brought home a 8 week old GS puppy.

She's still in the process of house-training, learning to get used to a leash, and learning basic sit command.

She basically acts like a ***** cat inside (curls up on my foot, rests, and sleeps). She basically sleeps most of the day except for brief play periods outside of around 10-15 minutes every couple of hours.

Outside, she's a bit wild, biting, nipping at the ankles, chasing the kids to bite at their feet and legs, and I'm only able to get her to sit and stay for a few seconds using kibble rewards.

How much exercise does she need to get per day and is this behavior fairly normal (calm and relaxed indoors and wild outdoors)?

How many hours should they be sleeping at this age?
placeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think the wild outdoors and acting like a cat part is normal. My 5 months old pup does it too. She used to sleep a lot until about 3.5 months but it reduced afterwards. I don't know about how long they should be sleeping. I just let mine sleep whenever she felt like it. As for exercise, many people, both in this forum n those I personally know have told me that I should only lightly exercise my pup until she turns about 18 months. There should be minimal running and try not to let her run on hard ground and slippery surfaces. I think for now you can just take her walking (at her speed) and maybe a little bit of swimming every now and then would do. Stop all exercises the moment your pup is tired.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by Alice13; 05-04-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Alice13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice13 View Post
I think the wild outdoors and acting like a cat part is normal. My 5 months old pup does it too. She used to sleep a lot until about 3.5 months but it reduced afterwards. I don't know about how long they should be sleeping. I just let mine sleep whenever she felt like it. As for exercise, many people, both in this forum n those I personally know have told me that I should only lightly exercise my pup until she turns about 18 months. There should be minimal running and try not to let her run on hard ground and slippery surfaces. I think for now you can just take her walking (at her speed) and maybe a little bit of swimming every now and then would do. Stop all exercises the moment your pup is tired.

Oh, she ran quite a lot today (running towards me on "Come"). I better stop that from now on. I didn't know it would be so bad for her hips.
placeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

A bunch. My pup is 5 months and he still sleeps about 60% of the day.
kakarot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mine is 5 month old now...he still sleeps all night then we get up and he goes out to potty then plays a little more then right back to napping!... i feed him wellness large breed puppy.. and always seem to have to add a lil treat to it for him to eat it...,pumkin, steak, etc...
tatman35753 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Oh, she ran quite a lot today (running towards me on "Come"). I better stop that from now on. I didn't know it would be so bad for her hips.[/QUOTE]

It is okay if she runs a little everyday. She does need a little exercise. Just don't let it be too long. You can't stop running completely either.

Alice13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by placeshifter View Post

How much exercise does she need to get per day and is this behavior fairly normal (calm and relaxed indoors and wild outdoors)?

How many hours should they be sleeping at this age?
I have a 12 week old. When we bought him home at 8 weeks he was the same way. He would play for brief periods, then rest. At 12 weeks, he plays longer and harder, but still rests a lot during the day. Since he is so young, I monitor the types of exercise. If we go out to socialize, I already know I'll be carrying him most of the time as he gets tired and I don't want to put stress on his joints. When I see him start to sit or slow, I know he's tired. Our walks are brief, mostly small trips to feed stores, pet stores, outside the perimeter of the dog park, or small hike though a trail. Something fun and engaging for him. At home several small (2-3 minutes) Obedience sessions. He settles great in the house. He's resting at my feet this very minute!
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

So pleased to see this thread because this is just the info I was looking for. Especially amount of appropriate exercise. We have a new puppy, Bella, 9 weeks in a few days, and I want to be very sure we don't inadvertently cause any harm by over exercising. Our boy Prince, who passed last year, had joint issues and much pain as he got older and we know now that we didn't do things right when he was young. So thanks! Your pups play sounds very similar to what our Bella does during play time, brief intense moments, then flop! My first post!
meggie53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

When Perseus was younger he slept all the time. Only got up to eat, Go to the bathroom, or play for about 5-10 min. They are growing, and fast. So they need all the sleep they can get. My boy was famous sleeping by his water bowl, wake up, take a drink, then back to sleep. Oh and they do a lot of heavy breathing at this age as well.

Last edited by Diesel7602; 09-09-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.