German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Ugh.. My pup seams to be in time out more often=( (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/443762-ugh-my-pup-seams-time-out-more-often.html)

Diesel7602 04-28-2014 01:29 PM

Ugh.. My pup seams to be in time out more often=(

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know what to do any more. My pup is 3 months and he won't stop biting. I've tried everything! He is spending most of the day in time out. As soon as he is out, he is doing it again, but drawing blood every time. And not just on me, my kids. My kids want nothing to do with him because that's all he does. I have tried the toy in mouth, the yelping, the time outs, etc.... It kills me to have him in time out all the time. I want him out with his family and hanging out. I love this guy so much, I just don't know what else to do to make him stop =`( he gets plenty of play , physical and mental. But always seams to be cut short because he will start drawing blood. Help please!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Msmaria 04-28-2014 02:15 PM

I just can't stand how cute he is. :D. That's one of the cutest faces I've seen. I don't have any great advice for you as you are doing what most suggested. My kids are all grown up, however we did have kids around when Dex was that age and a biting terror, what helped was really wearing him out with walks , leash training and working on sit and come commands with treats. Lots of "ah ah" when he went for kids hands and immediate treats when he listened. The best was to get him very sleepy before kids would come over to play. Of course at this age these dogs are biting machines, but just know it does get easier. It will be a few more months so hang in there

boomer11 04-28-2014 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would never let my pup bite me to the point where I'm bleeding. If you're allowing that then of course he thinks biting that hard is acceptable behavior.

I would smack him on the snout with a firm no! when he bites hard. Then I would redirect to a toy. If he engages the toy then praise the heck out of him. He has to know biting you makes you mad and playing with the toy makes you happy. If he doesn't engage the toy and keeps on biting you then time out.

My pup at that age had to go "jail" a bunch too. Key is to be consistent and it will pass.

Courtney 04-28-2014 02:29 PM

I think spending more time in his crate is creating more energy for him to burn...the family has become a excellent chew toy whenever he's out. He does need to learn to have a soft mouth.

My boy was very mouthy as a pup. I tried the yelping thing...yeah, that just got him more excited. lol

I just wore him out (playing and we were enrolled in obedience classes as well) and gave him things he could chew on (deer antler, raw bone, etc.).

Whenever he became over the top with the mouthing - game over. I walked away from him and did not engage him until he calmed down again.

Putting him in his crate is fine at times but you have to work though it with him.

Good luck - it does pass!

Diesel7602 04-28-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 5442098)
I would never let my pup bite me to the point where I'm bleeding. If you're allowing that then of course he thinks biting that hard is acceptable behavior.

I would smack him on the snout with a firm no! when he bites hard. Then I would redirect to a toy. If he engages the toy then praise the heck out of him. He has to know biting you makes you mad and playing with the toy makes you happy. If he doesn't engage the toy and keeps on biting you then time out.

My pup at that age had to go "jail" a bunch too. Key is to be consistent and it will pass.

He was taught bite inhibition when little., and he is taught that he is not allowed to mouth at all now. It's his first bites that bleeds. Puppy jail made me laugh :D thank you for the insight that this will pass . Smack on the nose is the only thing to get him to stop, but only for a short time. But I'm going to be more consistent like you said.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 04-28-2014 03:07 PM

I would never hit a dog. And in this situation, hitting can get the dog more excited. He wants to play with you and the hitting is attention. Courtney had good advice - he needs to be worn out more and continue with redirection and then timeout if he still won't stop.

Diesel7602 04-28-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtney (Post 5442130)
I think spending more time in his crate is creating more energy for him to burn...the family has become a excellent chew toy whenever he's out. He does need to learn to have a soft mouth.

My boy was very mouthy as a pup. I tried the yelping thing...yeah, that just got him more excited. lol

I just wore him out (playing and we were enrolled in obedience classes as well) and gave him things he could chew on (deer antler, raw bone, etc.).

Whenever he became over the top with the mouthing - game over. I walked away from him and did not engage him until he calmed down again.

Putting him in his crate is fine at times but you have to work though it with him.

Good luck - it does pass!

That's what I meant about Waring him out. I'll do a first long walk where he is to walk by my side, and no pulling. Then a lot of mental training, when we get inside. Then play fetch or tug on his favorite toy. But threw all this he is biting. I try to stick it out for at least 10-15 min each so a total of 30-45 min then I'll have to put him in his crate, do to the none stop biting. He is very smart, fast learner, but not so fast on not biting ;)

Diesel7602 04-28-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO (Post 5442354)
I would never hit a dog. And in this situation, hitting can get the dog more excited. He wants to play with you and the hitting is attention. Courtney had good advice - he needs to be worn out more and continue with redirection and then timeout if he still won't stop.

While bouncy puppies receive a lot of behavioral training from their human owners, the process generally starts much earlier for them, when they're still living alongside their canine mothers and siblings. If you ever notice a female dog biting her puppies, you're seeing her strong motherly instincts coming through, via discipline. Instead of biting my pup , a little smack is the only thing to get him to stop, but only for a few. After a few times and he does stop, then time out. And when I say smack I mean with my finger, so it's doesn't hurt. Just shocks him. :D but I respect your opinion, I would never beat or bully my pup. But it seams a lot of people these days do, and it's sad.

Diesel7602 04-28-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmaria (Post 5442034)
I just can't stand how cute he is. :D. That's one of the cutest faces I've seen. I don't have any great advice for you as you are doing what most suggested. My kids are all grown up, however we did have kids around when Dex was that age and a biting terror, what helped was really wearing him out with walks , leash training and working on sit and come commands with treats. Lots of "ah ah" when he went for kids hands and immediate treats when he listened. The best was to get him very sleepy before kids would come over to play. Of course at this age these dogs are biting machines, but just know it does get easier. It will be a few more months so hang in there

Thank you for the reply. I think when my kids are around I'll take your advice and leash him to me. That way he won't go after them or play bite them. That way, when my kids come to see him, I'll be right there and treat with good behavior.:D

petite 04-28-2014 04:13 PM

My pup is a little older than yours and I can relate to the crazy biting stage. She wasn't drawing blood though. It isn't easy, but make sure you aren't jerking away when she's biting you or those little teeth can slice you open.

Have you tried a flirt pole to tire him out? I've resorted to taking refuge on the couch and throwing kibble across the room for her to search for to get a break. It's such a challenging time!