About my "Clingy" or "Needy" puppy. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default About my "Clingy" or "Needy" puppy.

I know this topic has been discussed to some extent but I'm begginning to wonder if I am worrying too much abouy my pup.

My GSD is 5 months old and he is attached to us like glue. If we use the bathroom, he waits outside the door and whines, he cries if we go upstairs and waits for us at the stairs child gate and he is constantly sitting on our feet while we watch TV.

The good news is that he enjoys his crate at night and tolerates a crate well when we go out for a few hours.

The big question is will he be emotionally tramatized when we go away on vacation in a few months? We don't have any close friends or family that can board him so he might end up in a community boarding kennel for a week. Obviously he will not be familiar with anyone there?

Now the biggest question. Am I acting like more of a baby than my baby pup? :-)
Danny G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I dont have a lot of advice, only that I'd not be comfortable leaving my dog with strangers. Is there any way to introduce him to the place and let him get comfortable with people that you know you can trust?

My pup is clingy too, they don't call them "velcro dogs" for nothing.

I'd be more concerned with taking him to a place I trust, and being sure he will be getting the proper care and enjoying his experience. Our training club does boarding too, and while I'd be worried about his confusion being placed with someone else while I was away, I trust the staff and know he'd get lots of fun attention and care.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

A week of boarding should not cause any major trauma. What you can do right now, is introduce him to the place, so it is a bit more familiar. Go for a visit, meet the staff, let him sniff around a bit. Keep it short and positive. They you can try a longer visit or two (if the staff is okay with that - may just be hanging out in the parking lot or the lobby), and finally an overnight practice stay to see how he does.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Start with 1 day of daycare at kennel of your choice. Then progress to 1 overnight stay. Your dog will then be acclimated for an extended stay- IMHO, Bob
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Our 5 month old is the same way! I'm like " Really you don't have to get out of your comfortable sleep position just to follow me to the bathroom!". Lol I love having a Velcro dog but I have accidentally stepped on him a couple of times (he was very forgiving). Good news is we don't have to worry about these guys running away for now!

We have exposed our dog early to a couple of hours here and there at a local boarding place that also does overnight "sleepovers" they call it. He loves the staff and has gotten to know the owners' dogs too. He hasn't had an overnight there but since he has gotten older we let him stay a full day while I went on a field trip with my daughter and he did great (and too tired to follow me around that evening). Since you know so far ahead of time about your travel plans, I would shop around for some kennels and after finding one you like, make some visits with the pup and let him "sniff out the place"!

I don't like leaving my dog, but we don't live near family either and if an emergency arose and we had to travel to the east coast, I would want our pup to be able to go somewhere he felt comfortable and had been before. Good luck!!
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Fawn is the same way. I can't even turn in my sleep without her popping her head up out of her rest to look my way. I often wonder if I'm creating a monster! She lays on the bathroom rug while I shower and more than one person has told me this is too much but I like her company.

I work with dogs and so many GSDs have crazy separation anxiety. I try to give Fawn 1 on 1 time with trusted friends and family in my house or yard. She usually mauls them with excitement and love but at least she doesn't scream for me.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am positive my female would not do well in a boarding situation. To be fair I don't think the male would be be as bad. I do know that when he was brought to the shelter, he didn't do well and almost was put to sleep because of his anxiety issues. I can't imagine that the feeling of being brought to the shelter or boarding would be that different, especially for the first week. They still feel that same confusion and don't know what's going on. How about a person coming to the home? That is what I would have to do.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

One of the many reasons I go to puppy classes is I meet other pups and owners with wonderful dogs that are in my same situation. Possibly needing a dogsitter if I have to go away?

I take care of your pup (that I know and my pup knows) for FREE when you are gone. Then you do the same! So my puppy is having a blast on a prolonged playdate with friends and I don't have to kennel at all.

Other thing is just to make sure you are OUT of your house and socializing your pup in general with new things/places/pups/people. Otherwise it won't so much be missing you that's the issue at all. Instead it's the overwhelming fear/terror of being hit by 100% new/strange/scary things when you leave him.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

My dog is this way and I was so worried about him! I'm glad its a common thing, it makes me feel so much better! I would say don't worry about it and just socialize. What I do is I let others feed and take him out to get him used to other people. It seems to be helping him big time! Little bugger still only follows me though, haha.
Kiitsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Im in a similar situation with my 4.5 month puppy. He has been with me almost 24/7 since I got him at 7 weeks. I've been pretty worried about leaving him! I mean, he is can hardly stand when I just go out for just a few hours! lol

I found this site ( dogvacay.com ) where you can find dog sitters that care for a smaller number of dogs at a time and will keep them in their own home as a part of their family. The people I talked to were all very friendly, honest, and caring and willing to reccommend another sitter if they did not believe theirs was the best fit.

I found a great boarding situation for my puppy at $20 a day. He will be in a home with 24/7 supervision and lots of love and attention with one other friendly dog to play with, and I will be doing a meet and greet to make sure everything looks like a good fit before I make a final decision. I feel so much better about leaving him now! Plus I will get daily pics and updates!
I don't know how the pricing compares to kennel boarding, but I would definitely choose this over boarding in a kennel for my pups first week apart from me. I think he might actually enjoy his time while im gone. (I hope!)
lokimonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.