German Shepherds Forum banner

Is this an early sign of dominance or aggression?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DellaWrangler 
#1 ·
Finnick is 11 weeks old, he's very lively (of course) and he's actually been pretty well behaved so far, apart from the normal nipping etc, his toilet training is going well, so is crate training and the basics.

However, when I tell him a stern "NO!" he sort of sasses at me (I know i've read some people talk about normal puppy sass), but he then goes to bite harder on my hand etc and I wonder if this is normal or does it show signs of early aggression or dominance...or is he just testing me?

#2 ·
He's a puppy.

He's playing.

Best to make sure you are in a great puppy class so you can observe all the other puppies and see how normal your pup is! Plus having a great instructor to add their input.

Did you see my puppy class video? Look at all the puppies and listen to them to. Your pup is treating you the same way!

#3 ·
Thanks :) I know i've seen other puppies do it, but his just comes so out of the blue and sometimes seems aggressive towards us, so thought i'd ask.

We're due to start his puppy class in a few weeks, he's just had his second shot, so he hasn't been able to start yet. Can't wait to start!!!!!

#4 ·
#5 ·
Actually, the puppy class he is going to be attending is very highly regarded and recommended. We have to take proof of all vaccinations....which I totally agree with.

I have in fact already been socializing him with various other dogs and animals and showing him many new experiences, which he is doing great with. So it's not like we've not done anything and have been "Missing a bunch of socialization stages/phases. "

#6 ·
I think sassing back is a pretty normal puppy thing, and it is very normal for the protection breeds and while some mellow at 6 monthish, some do it later. My 11 month old Dutchie still sasses when he is in his brat state, usually at 6 PM, but while he is confident he is not doing it out of fear aggression.

#8 ·
Not dominance or agression -- your pup's trying to communicate with you and barking's the only way he knows how to at this stage. Think of it like: "But mom, I WANT to chew up the couch, chase the cat, sleep on your bed." If you're consistent with the "No," he'll eventually become resigned to the fact that certain behaviors are not going to be tolerated and will stop "sassing."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.