German Shepherds Forum banner

Running away

863 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  LoveEcho 
#1 ·
Hi all, my GSD is over a year old and we live on a small farm just in town. Recently we have had someone across the road who comes over nearly everyday to help mum with her horse.
Over the last few days my dog will go over and visit him when we are all inside so he has to bring her back all the time. Our property is pretty open so there are not many boundaries set so she can go over easily. Even if we tie her up for a while when he leaves, she will go back over after a while when we let her off which is getting quite frustrating.
Any ideas on how to keep her where she is meant to be without placing fences or barriers as it isn't quite possibly based on our land?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Two things come to mind. Are the neighbors giving the pup treats and/or lots of attention? It may be exciting for your dog to go there. Secondly, have you ever worked on the boundaries? Walking the dog on a leash around the perimeter rewarding when staying in, correcting when straying? Just my 2 cents worth.

#4 ·
Most dogs will roam some if given the chance, some breeds more than others. Try a Beagle or 'Black & Tan' coonhound if you want a real wanderer.

We have a 5 acre property, I have the edge lined with an underground wire. It's only buried where I mow or the driveway. It's easy to put in yourself then train the dog. If you let most dogs out un-contained and unsupervised just about all will roam. I know more than a few that met their demise on a bumper of a vehicle, several from the same house.

Just saying, decide if you want it fixed and allocate a little $$$ toward the project. Some wired systems go up to 25 acres. You can buy correct wire locally and splice it in yourself.

Once trained and acclimated the dog will stay inside but walk out with you when permitted, collar off of course.

#5 ·
I have a 65 acre farm and don't let my dogs out unattended... you never know what could happen, and it's not a risk I want to take. Don't let the dog roam. We have a wire run for the dogs and will have a large fenced in area shortly.

The ONLY reliable answer is some form of containment or supervision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.