German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Sleeping through the night (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/440817-sleeping-through-night.html)

kburrow11 04-20-2014 10:37 PM

Sleeping through the night

Okay, so I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm a new GSD owner and I want to make sure I get things right.

Any advice on getting my puppy, Vida, to sleep through the night? I go to bed around 12:30-1 am after taking her outside, and she's awake, wanting to play, around 5-6 in the morning. She whines, bounces around, and nips, trying to get me to play, and she doesn't need to go outside. She keeps waking up my roommate too. What can I do to get her to settle down and go back to sleep? And any advice/idea of how long she'll cry if I put her in a crate away from me for the night?

FuzzButtMum 04-21-2014 06:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kburrow11 (Post 5406361)
Okay, so I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm a new GSD owner and I want to make sure I get things right.

Any advice on getting my puppy, Vida, to sleep through the night? I go to bed around 12:30-1 am after taking her outside, and she's awake, wanting to play, around 5-6 in the morning. She whines, bounces around, and nips, trying to get me to play, and she doesn't need to go outside. She keeps waking up my roommate too. What can I do to get her to settle down and go back to sleep? And any advice/idea of how long she'll cry if I put her in a crate away from me for the night?

I think I was lucky with Finnick (10 weeks old). He only woke up in his first night with me.....ever since then he sleeps from 1am (when I go to bed) till about 9 - 10am without waking up!!

The only thing I can recommend is to really-really tire her out before bed time.

She will whine in her crate, that's inevitable. You just really need to ignore it (unless she needs toilet). Do you keep her crate next to your bed at night? If she's still young, that might help her feel safer during this time that she's still getting used to the crate. That's what i'm doing with my boy. He still whines, but only for a very short period. It's more of a moan now than a whine.

Does she have some sort of toy in her crate....kongs etc to keep her occupied? Try to throw some of her fav treats in there before she goes in, so she associates it with positive things :)
I also throw a blanket over Finnicks crate..it makes it more "den" like, and it has really helped him!

Attachment 202305

Attachment 202313

I know some people like to feed their pups in the crate, but I don't do that. I also take his food and water away at night times (because he sleeps through, and to prevent him always waking up for a widdle!).

Hope that helps?