German Shepherds Forum banner

Biting/Nipping at hands

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  FuzzButtMum 
#1 ·
Any advice on how to train my pup not to bite/nip at my hands? I've tried tapping her nose, telling her no, growling at her, etc, but she keeps doing it. Also, she keeps waking up every couple hours at night, not to use the bathroom, but wanting to play. Any advice to get her to sleep longer?

#2 ·
Your situation is a classic amongst so many GSD puppy owners....including me.

I'll bet if you search the puppy forums you will find countless threads which discuss your current situation regarding the nipping.

As far as the " ...she keeps waking up every couple hours at night...." situation, I'd take a stab at tiring her out more before her evening snooze. If she's still really young and doing the on/off switch thing, I'd try and keep the on switch activated a bit longer. It seemed like short phase with the GSD pups I've had but I distinctly remember the days of....going a hundred miles an hour and then a half hour later they are fast asleep in some of the most awkward and uncomfortable positions.

However, nothing wrong with a pup that loves to play.....she just hasn't figured out your timetable yet...I guess.

SuperG

#3 · (Edited)
With the puppy nipping, I put Vicks Vaporub on my hands, ankles, leads - anything that I don't want them to chew. The smell is really horrible to them and will stop them from biting, you can then use a command 'no' or 'leave it' and when she does not bite - praise her telling her good girl.

There are plenty of posts here about puppy nibbing - it is important to remember by nipping you, she is learning bite inhibition from you, this is something she would of already started learning with her littermates and from another dog if had one. It is important you teach her this is not acceptable and by biting hard on you, then the consequences are that you walk away and leave her, she will eventually work it out with good training from you, but try the Vicks as it does stop them. Just do not put Vicks on your puppy or make her lick or eat it.

With waking up at night, either ignore it or put her back to her bed with no sound, praise or fun from you and then go back to bed - ie make the fact she is waking up in the night really boring for her.

#5 ·
I was having the exact same trouble as you....still am, somedays.

I can tell Finnick thinks before nipping now (as in, thinking "oh, I can't nip, they don't like that"). Other days he nips everything in sight.

The only thing that works for us is re directing him to his toys. Sometimes he really doesn't want to know and carries on nipping, but you just have to try and distract them!

Also, try to tire her out as much as you can Lots of stimulating toys and Kongs / Boredom breaker type things! Finnick also LOVES chewing and grinding his teeth on a whole carrot (just pop it in the fridge to make it cold) that seems to help his teeth. You're definitely not alone :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.