German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   The "butthead" stage... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/440025-butthead-stage.html)

carrieincolorado 04-18-2014 06:02 PM

The "butthead" stage...

.. or at least that is what I have read, and am guessing (hoping) that Chevelle is simply in this "stage" and will grow out of it. When I brought her home at 3 months old she was very jumpy and mouthy and for 2 months I dealt with that. At 5 months it seemed she was really "getting it" and growing out of it. Then 2 days before she turned 6 months old, all progress was erased and she was back to jumping on everyone and puppy biting like crazy, especially when feeling anxious. (like when I return to the car or back inside, even if I was gone for 3 seconds) Meeting strangers is VERY hard for her, she gets so excited and wants to kiss everyone in the face, so more jumping and anxious mouthing. She is also starting to chew things in the car, which she has NEVER done before, even at 3 months old. She ate my daughters car seat straps and now started to chew up the passengers seat back. :mad: She has chew toys in the car but ignores those.

I do have to say that she has learned bite inhibition and does not bite very hard (usually) and never breaks the skin but it can be very frustrating when she does not stop and nothing I am doing can make her stop. This morning I was so frustrated with it I held her mouth closed.. which just made her more crazy, and made me feel bad for doing it. She will be 7 months old in a week. I am crossing my fingers the biting and jumping stop soon... lol!:fingerscrossed:

glowingtoadfly 04-18-2014 08:19 PM

Skadi went through this. We distracted her with her beloved ball and with marrow bones and used time outs -stepping on the leash if we were in public when it happened. Is there a toy she loves enough to do obedience for when this happens? We would make her sit and down, and always carried a ball and treats. What really made her turn the corner was a combination of turning two and starting schutzhund style intense obedience tug play with her. Hopefully this helps. When she was younger she couldn't even play tug, the mouthing would start if we tried. So I think it was a combination of training and maturity.

SunCzarina 04-18-2014 08:38 PM

It's a tough stage. Just stay consistent. Otto ate seatbelts too. Venus ate everything.

Lucy&Jax 04-18-2014 08:47 PM

Same problem

Jax has just turned 10 months and is always really jumpy when we come home, I thought it might be because he gets left on his own but we put him in our bedroom with a bowl of water and all his fave toys and when we return he's just asleep on the bed but then goes mad trying to lick us and jump up us, he mouths also, nothing hard but it's frustrating. I've found that he does not like the dog spray that we have and whenever I'm holding it he just backs away. So now there is one in each room until he gets the idea lol but I do love him to bits :wub:

glowingtoadfly 04-18-2014 08:52 PM

Skadi ate our couch cover, and is currently attempting to eat a sleeping bag with some success. She also resource guards the sleeping bag so I have to distract her sassiness with treats when she does it. She is a real little challenge, although she is starting to settle down. She still has her days. Like today, when she resource guarded my sock while it was still on my foot, then tugged it off and pranced about with it. I was able to prevent it from happening twice with a stern NEIN. The mouthing has settled down though.

GatorDog 04-18-2014 09:08 PM

I personally don't allow my dogs to bite me, especially past 6 months old once the adult teeth are in and there's no excuse for "teething". I correct them for it either with a collar correction or scruff or loud verbal correction, but I don't just wait for it to go away. I also have a crate in my car, which solves all the destruction issues. I would add a little more structured obedience and plenty of exercise to work on the other control problems.

SuperG 04-18-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly (Post 5397529)
Like today, when she resource guarded my sock while it was still on my foot, then tugged it off and pranced about with it.

I used those precious puppy moments to use my sock as "doggy floss"....and then later required that my pup carefully and rather gingerly remove my socks and fluff them ( the shaky killy thing they like to do) and perhaps fold them when she was done.

SuperG

glowingtoadfly 04-18-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5397633)
I used those precious puppy moments to use my sock as "doggy floss"....and then later required that my pup carefully and rather gingerly remove my socks and fluff them ( the shaky killy thing they like to do) and perhaps fold them when she was done.

SuperG

Lol. I should never have let her play tug with her brother with loose socks. Now, they are a Resource! Worth defending and pulling off my feet for a nice game of tug!

boomer11 04-18-2014 09:25 PM

*removed by moderator*

glowingtoadfly 04-18-2014 09:35 PM

Some people would have given up on my dog, in fact someone already did before we brought her home. Gee, GTF, good job not giving up on your dog and trying to treat resource guarding, which isn't a corrections issue, properly by offering high value treats to your dog. Thanks, boomer11. I have done my research about how to treat this issue. Back on topic please.