Is this separation anxiety??????? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is this separation anxiety???????

My pup is 10 weeks old, he's been with us almost 2 weeks.
He is an absolutely gorgeous boy, inside and out. However, the past week or so he gets very stressed when I leave the room.

I never leave him in a room unsupervised, if I do, I put him in his crate so h can't get into mischief. I keep leaving the room to do everyday things, he is left with a relative...but he gets very stressed and starts to bite!!!!!! He calms down as soon as I return.

Is this separation anxiety...how can I rectify this? I am his primary owner, thus do training and playtime etc but I live with someone else, he sees them a lot, but they don't have so much input.

I believe he sees me as the alpha, so that's why he behaves slightly better with me.. How can I stop this biting (It's slightly more than mouthing). He biites arms, legs, clothing, whatever he can get hold of. I need to stop this before he gets too old and it starts getting more dangerous! Is this common and normal behavior?

I was thinking, maybe I need to crate him every time I leave the room, regardless of someone else being there? Please help!

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Chloe & Princess the Kitties
Fred & George the Ferrets
FuzzButtMum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

No one? :S

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Old 04-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

It doesn't sound like seperation anxiety to me. He is being a normal, mouthy puppy. How did you stop him from biting you? Maybe others need to stop the biting the same way you did.
It could be separation anxiety/frustration. I just don't know how to fix it, for one of my guys never had seperation anxiety, and the other simply grew out of it on his own.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'll take a stab.. While I read this a while ago, I wasn't sure what to say because honestly, I have never dealt with it. Only read about it. BUT i know I like responses to my stuff so I will give my opinion at least

When you put him in the crate a leave does he have a fit too, or is this only when there is another person in the room with him, while you leave?

It sounds to me like it's some sort of anxiety because he doesn't want you to leave. Something I may try if I were you, would be small exercises with him when you leave the room. Maybe a "stay." I would teacha solid stay with you in the room then move it to short times when you are out of his site. That way, when you have to leave the room for a minute, you can say "stay" and he knows you are coming back.

I dont' know but with my very limited experience that would be something I would try. Makes sense in my head, lol. Hopefully others chime in with way more experience..

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010

Last edited by wyoung2153; 04-18-2014 at 04:03 PM.
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Skadi used to get mouthy with me when my husband went upstairs at a year when we first brought her home. It's like she went back to puppyhood lol. We considered it a sign of poor frustration tolerance and worked on down stays, waiting for treats, leave it, and off. This is a puppy so maybe that would be too intensive?

Last edited by glowingtoadfly; 04-18-2014 at 04:09 PM.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
I'll take a stab.. While I read this a while ago, I wasn't sure what to say because honestly, I have never dealt with it. Only read about it. BUT i know I like responses to my stuff so I will give my opinion at least

When you put him in the crate a leave does he have a fit too, or is this only when there is another person in the room with him, while you leave?

It sounds to me like it's some sort of anxiety because he doesn't want you to leave. Something I may try if I were you, would be small exercises with him when you leave the room. Maybe a "stay." I would teacha solid stay with you in the room then move it to short times when you are out of his site. That way, when you have to leave the room for a minute, you can say "stay" and he knows you are coming back.

I dont' know but with my very limited experience that would be something I would try. Makes sense in my head, lol. Hopefully others chime in with way more experience..
Thank you, that does sound like a good idea. We've actually been working on the "stay" command and he's been doing pretty well on it! I'll definitely try that. He still goes mad when I put him in the crate when no one is there, he just wants to be with me all the time (which is lovely, but not practical). I just want to stop it now before it goes too far! He's not at all protective of me, just hates when I leave. He's never interested in Kongs or toys either when I leave. At least with some sort of command, he'll know I come back!

Thanks guys, hopefully it's just a puppy stage....maybe he's Mommyfied (like babies get?) because he's so young still?

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.