How do YOU reprimand your pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do YOU reprimand your pup?

How do you reprimand your pup?

Nothing seems to work with Finnick. I've tried saying "NO" sternly, given his leash a little yank, done the "Chhhhtt" noise along with nudge.....nothing!

Or is it just because he needs to get used to it? The noise I normally make is "NO". I swear it gets him more riled up.

For example, when he is biting the edges of our sofa, I sternly say "NO" and he carries on, no matter what I do. Someone suggested using a Dog Air-spray (compressed air in a can similar to a aerosol, apparently they don't like the noise)?

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Chloe & Princess the Kitties
Fred & George the Ferrets
FuzzButtMum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

My pup really responds well to correction. She's an incredibly easy dog. Normally a "ch" noise or "eh eh" or "leave it" works well. "eh eh" is her "stop that and pay attention" sound, as well as "nope, that's not quite right"... and it works really really well for her.

For yours, something to reinforce would probably be in order at this time, not to replace a "no", but just to reinforce it. Maybe a squirt bottle? Or the air spray thing. With the "no". And then phase it out as need be...
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
My pup really responds well to correction. She's an incredibly easy dog. Normally a "ch" noise or "eh eh" or "leave it" works well. "eh eh" is her "stop that and pay attention" sound, as well as "nope, that's not quite right"... and it works really really well for her.

For yours, something to reinforce would probably be in order at this time, not to replace a "no", but just to reinforce it. Maybe a squirt bottle? Or the air spray thing. With the "no". And then phase it out as need be...
Ah, your pup is a clever one! That's what I was thinking, hopefully adding the air spray bottle will help and actually get his attention so he knows that whatever he is doing isn't right :\ He responds amazingly well to praise and his clicker, so it's just the bad habits we need to nip in the bud!

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Bear is what, around four months old? Why do you think this will be good for Bear? I'm sure you posted looking for reassurance, but I never get why people feel they need to send a pup away. A pup's attention span is so short, not sure what the trainer will be doing with Bear all day. Formal training should only be a few minutes a day. I don't know anything about this trainer, he may be wonderful and really give the dogs he works with a rich and rewarding experience but why send him away?

Did you look into puppy/basic obedience classes for you to attend WITH Bear? Nothing magic that the trainer will be doing with Bear that you can't learn to do yourself with a good class and a good instructor.

Assertive K9 are the best trainers in So cal. You could not find a better trainer for the money or time. I know first hand.
azangel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am guessing you got Finnick on 3/2? So she is what 14 weeks old? Or, was that his birthdate?

I think before we consider what is the best method to reprimand a puppy, we need to know how old it is. Reprimanding a 6 week old pup, or a 14 week old pup is very different, as is a 14 week old pup to a 6 or 12 months old.

With more information, we can give you better advice.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I am guessing you got Finnick on 3/2? So she is what 14 weeks old? Or, was that his birthdate?

I think before we consider what is the best method to reprimand a puppy, we need to know how old it is. Reprimanding a 6 week old pup, or a 14 week old pup is very different, as is a 14 week old pup to a 6 or 12 months old.

With more information, we can give you better advice.
He was born on the 3rd Feb, so he's 10 weeks old (and 1 day)
He's quite confident, but also calm and placid. Gets distracted very easily, basically a normal pup. Not overly boisterous, but when he gets going it's hard for him to calm down. The problems we have are nipping/hair pulling and biting flooring and furniture (normal behaviors I know, but I'd like to combat them still). Does that help?

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Old 04-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't remember reprimanding our pup, just re-directing her and making our house safe (puppy proof). Also getting enough exercise, mental stimulation to make her tired. Our pup was not destructive and never yelled at her for having "accidents" in the house.

For the biting, we had toys everywhere to pick up quickly and place in her mouth instead of our arm.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alpha roll. Wait it's not Thursday. So redirect, exercise, and remove temptation.

Albus "Dobby" Van Meerhout
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...y-van-meerhout
DobbyDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobbyDad View Post
Alpha roll. Wait it's not Thursday. So redirect, exercise, and remove temptation.
I've tried re-directing, sometimes it works and sometimes he just ignores whatever toy we try to distract him with. He doesn't think much of Kongs, but he loves other chew toys so I think i'll carry on trying to distract him for or a little while longer in the hopes that it suddenly clicks, as I don't really want to have to use spray bottles etc, but I just can't have him pulling hair etc as my nieces are very young and often come round.

We never ever shout at him when he has an accident (which has only been once since we got him a week ago!), we just make sure we thoroughly clean the area and ignore the fact he had an accident.

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Old 04-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzButtMum View Post
He was born on the 3rd Feb, so he's 10 weeks old (and 1 day)
He's quite confident, but also calm and placid. Gets distracted very easily, basically a normal pup. Not overly boisterous, but when he gets going it's hard for him to calm down. The problems we have are nipping/hair pulling and biting flooring and furniture (normal behaviors I know, but I'd like to combat them still). Does that help?

Ah, I am blinded by being born and raised in the US where we put the month first and then the day and then the year. All is good then, I am glad I did not just assume, but asked.

At ten weeks old, I would TEACH the dog to be gentle. I explained how I do this on the 8 week female puppy thread. I will get a link if I can.

ETA link: Female GS 8 weeks...

Once it is taught, with a treat, you can use the Gentle word to let your puppy know to be very careful and use his tongue not his teeth. And at that point you can say, Gentle with Niecie, Gentle with my fingers.

I do not use Gentle with the couch, just because I find it imperitive the dog associate being Gentle with other humans and living things, that I do not want to confuse him. If he is chewing on the couch, I will redirect to something that I tell him is "Yours." After a while, I might say, "Eh-Eh, Mine." and then redirect to something very chewable and say, "yours."

Good luck.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.