German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Puppy scared of vacuum... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/437153-puppy-scared-vacuum.html)

FuzzButtMum 04-12-2014 11:35 AM

Puppy scared of vacuum...

Finnick is 9 weeks, he is quite scared of the vacuum....I mean, not so scared that he'll pee....but he just stands or runs to a distance and whines or tries to jump onto the sofa (which he's not aloud to do)

How can I make him more comfortable with the vacuum? I have tried to leave the vaccum out, so he can sniff it and get used to seeing it, I also tried just briefly pressing the on switch, so it comes on for a second or so, so he can get used o the sounds. Am I doing it right, or should I just casually vacuum and not make a fuss?

He's in his crate at the moment, so I was wondering whether to vacuum now, because he might feel safe in his "den"?

HarleyTheGSD 04-12-2014 11:52 AM

To me it sounds like you're doing the right thing. Maybe you should try giving him a treat whenever he approaches the vacuum calmly. Or do some small training excercizes, to get his mind off of it.

Chip18 04-12-2014 01:07 PM

My Boxer loved the vacuum, you could bump her with the power head and she wouldn't move! Had to tell her to leave the thing alone, she seemed to thing it was some kind of screaming loud toy!

My BullMastiff/APBT didn't care about the vacuum at all.

Rocky my GSD clearly does not like it but I let him up on the couche when I vacuum and he's fine with that. :)

middleofnowhere 04-12-2014 01:32 PM

`I'd just put the pup up when I vacuumed. Mine have always been too interested in sweeping, raking anything like that. They'd attack the vacuum if I tried to use it when they were out.

gurlonfire2004 04-12-2014 01:54 PM

Our GSD/Husky mix never liked the vacuum. He always ran and hid when the vacuum came out. We didn't tease him with it but never made an effort to accustom him to it, either.

Stormie on the other hand, loves to check out loud noises (vacuum, blow dryer, sander, etc). So, I'm not any help, sorry.

FuzzButtMum 04-12-2014 03:38 PM

I managed to hoover earlier and he stayed in the room (on the opposite side) laying down :) so I think that's pregress!! Yayy!

shemeld135 04-12-2014 05:23 PM

leave the vacuum on and bring the pup over to it. let him sniff it and show him its ok! it worked/working for my pup :) good luck!

Longfisher 04-12-2014 06:17 PM

Vacuum

Ours was afraid when he was a puppy, Then he barked a lot at it. Then the wife started using it to vacuum his fur instead of brushing.

Now, he loves it like it was a massage.

LF

anitram 04-12-2014 10:39 PM

Hans was scared of the central vac hose when we first got him. He's not only gotten past that fear but now wants to play with the hose. I didn't do anything special, just continued to vacuum and let him observe and get closer to it as he felt comfortable.

I'll tell ya vacuuming was a lot easier when he was afraid! ;)

Kuma of Manenggon 04-12-2014 11:51 PM

Slowly connect vacuum with good stuff and cross your
Fingers. I was lucky and Kuma was exposed to it while we
We're playing. She gets her tongue sucked into hose and then plays with it. Good luck.