barking at everyone on walks (Moved) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default barking at everyone on walks (Moved)

My 6month gsd barks at everyone while on walks. Deep barks. I live in a small city. If someone comes out of their house, she will stop, sit, and continuously bark at them until they are out of site. Its quite emberassing telling her "no" or trying to get her to move and she doesnt listen. No treat is as high value to her. My neighbors are labeling her "aggressive" I can see it in their faces. I know we should start walks in low stimulating places, but there really isn't a place and people don't really come out much. How do you get her focus off of people because its getting really emberassing and I think my neighborhood is starting to look at us like a nuisance.
Jlmaiorana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

You have a good doggy. I would not stop her from barking unless it's a small child.. If your embarrassed about it, consider another breed. GSDs are protective and alerting..........
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

That's not good... If she got loose I'm sure she would most likely bite someone if she's that aggressive for no reason and the owner would get sued. Just someone in their garden and she's barking is not normal. If her owner is threatened or she is then okay. But I wouldn't encourage her barking at people for no apparent reason.
Madisonmj97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

How do I get her to stop?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Either a training class or one of those mussel leashes. I suggest the mussel leashes first just to try it out. It's suppose to redirect dogs focus when walking.
Madisonmj97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Im emberassed because I tell her not to do it and she doesnt listen. Today I was walking her home and see my neighbor with his little kid in the sidewalk. She started it from across the street. She never barked at a kid before so I know she was barking at the dad. I have a feeling it makes him uneasy. We want her to protect the home, but at the same time we want her to know who to bark at and who not to. I dont think the neighbors are willing to meet her. They have been intimidated since she was 10 weeks old.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg View Post
You have a good doggy. I would not stop her from barking unless it's a small child.. If your embarrassed about it, consider another breed. GSDs are protective and alerting..........
Hahaha wow. If your dog barks at everything and you are actually proud of that then I feel sorry for you....

And your neighbors.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

You need to find out what is causing the barking, when you find that out you can fix why they are barking and the barking will go away then. You want to fix the cause not the symptom!

Try looking up some private trainers in your area, get numbers, contact them and ask them questions on their training style-describe your dog a bit, see what they say. You want to try and find a good fit for you and your dog.
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Tried ecollar teainer and all positive trainer. Gonna meet in the middle with Leeburg style. She barks at people in general. Up close her ears go back and she wants to lunge at them playfully. Trying to socialize as much as possible.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
Hahaha wow. If your dog barks at everything and you are actually proud of that then I feel sorry for you....

And your neighbors.
Pretty much! A dog that barks at "everything is pretty useless as a "guard dog."
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.