Night time crate sleeping..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Night time crate sleeping.....

So, my little guy came home today! His name is Finnick and he is absolutely amazing! So far he seems so placid and easy going!

My question is about his crate.....

I am going to be crating him at night time. As it's his very first day at home today, I've been gently coaxing him to go into his crate which he does so with no problem (yay!).

When he goes into the crate, should I wait a while and the close the door? Or close it straight away (seems a bit harsh).

The trouble is, he keeps going to sleep elsewhere! He likes to be near me (expected), or by my feet. I can't wake him up and then put him in his crate because that goes against everything that I've read about crate training! How do I get him to sleep in the crate tonight? What if he doesn't? Should I let him sleep outside of the crate tonight and try to get him used to it again tomorrow? (I didn't really want to start out that way, but I know things don't always go to plan!).

This is my first time crate training a puppy, so forgive me if this question seems stupid :|

FuzzButtMum
FuzzButtMum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Crate train him during the day but keep him next to you in a big card board box (so you can dangle your hand in it when he gets restless) at night along with some of your clothes from that day. In a few weeks he will be used to his crate and you can switch him then. I have done this with the last 5 pups I raised and not a peep!
Have fun with your puppy!
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think that it shouldn't be a problem to just stick him in the crate. You can continue to try to convince him to like it, but in the meantime he has to stay somewhere. I put my puppy in the crate even on the car ride home. I sat by the crate with the door open. And the first night if she cried I would just come and sit by her until she calmed. She has no issues with her crate. She goes in it willingly and is crated during the work day.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wolfy Dog - That sounds like a great Idea! Unfortunately I didn't have any bxes to hand. Luckily he managed to sleep in his crate though

Gurlonfire2004 - That's exactly what I did last night, hehe glad I think I did the right thing! He actually seems far happier to be in his crate today (I haven't but him in it, he willingly goes in there to eat and he takes his toys in there!

He whined every hour last night but I was able to distinguish between a "I want a cuddle" whine to "I need to go to the toilet!" whine

Hopefully tonight is as successful!?!?!?!?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

I used the crate right away..,.and ya you get to know the different whines.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktigger99 View Post
I used the crate right away..,.and ya you get to know the different whines.

Definitely

Also, do you guys think it's ok.....if he falls asleep on the living room floor (which he does most of the time at my feet) is it ok if I gently wake him and direct him to his crate, I want him to associate his crate with sleeping (he has toys and a bed in there and i've covered the sides and top with a blanket for him so it's like a den.

Fuzzbuttmum x
Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For the first few weeks I would make sure the pup was good and tired, usually a 15 minute play session followed by a long potty break, then it was upstairs and I threw a treat in the crate and he would run in to find it. A small drink of water, another treat and then I would gently rub the head or back, usually they would start to fall asleep within a minute or two and once they were sleepy I would say 'good night' and close the crate door. Usually I'd stay sitting by the crate for another minute or two and then I would get ready for bed myself.

It worked quickly, they associated the crate with good things and the 'good night' was the signal for them that it was time to be quiet and sleep.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't see anything wrong with that. It is a personal thing...we have the crate in our room which is the other side of the house so she only sleeps in there at night.

nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
For the first few weeks I would make sure the pup was good and tired, usually a 15 minute play session followed by a long potty break, then it was upstairs and I threw a treat in the crate and he would run in to find it. A small drink of water, another treat and then I would gently rub the head or back, usually they would start to fall asleep within a minute or two and once they were sleepy I would say 'good night' and close the crate door. Usually I'd stay sitting by the crate for another minute or two and then I would get ready for bed myself.

It worked quickly, they associated the crate with good things and the 'good night' was the signal for them that it was time to be quiet and sleep.
Thanks that's more or less what we have been doing, but i'll try the "good night" and a treat to see if it works any better. Thank you! x
Old 04-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

i just picked up my pup sat..i had teh crate door open since he was home. let him go in and out of it on his free will.. when he started to get tired and i knew he wanted to sleep i pushed him towards the crate. he would lay down in it and i would lay next to it. after he was sleep i moved away from it but kept the door open.. did the same things at night but closed the door after he fell asleep loud enough to wake him up to see the door shut...during the nights when he got up id bring him right out side for him to do his thing. went back in and straight to the crate laid down with the door open with my hand inside till he fell back asleep and close the door again loud enough to wake him to see it closing.. only been doing it since saturday but hes been getting the hang of it!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.