Help!! Socialization Questions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help!! Socialization Questions?

Hi all,

We decided to add a puppy to our family. We currently have a 3.5 yr old gsd. We rescued a 14 wk gsd from a bad situation/ puppy mill. No socializing appears to have happened.

My question is that she is scared of everything and she lunges and growl at all dogs even thing she doesn't know... i.e. a bird, what are my best actions to take? I'm looking for advice from anyone that has had experience this before.

After one week she is already getting along with my boy now. But anything new she gets too stressed and scared and acts out with barking and growling. We had our first puppy class today, but she was so stressed all she did was bark/ growl at the other puppies. She has no drive for food or toys. How long should I give her or is this something I will have to fight for awhile.

What do I do???

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
LunoLUV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'll let others address the specific, in general a lot of your questions are covered in my post here:

New Dog, Very Challenging
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the info. We are in puppy classes now and she has lunged at another puppy. The trainer stopped her and grabbed her and said a strong 'nope'. She said we need to do this w ever she exhibits behavior we do not like.
This is not what we did with our first puppy. But he also did not have any of the scared/ insecure barking and growling.

Now all of a sudden she won't go outside, even when we have treats. She whins randomly for no reason outside and inside. We have only had her for a little over a week. When should I start worrying about these issues?

Thank you
LunoLUV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Lol you should already be worried. This is how she is. In terms of socialization I'd take it slow. People with nervy pups tend to try and socialize the dog with everything as quickly as possible in hopes the dog will get over their nervousness. It doesn't work that way. With a timid dog I'd take my time and let the dog go out on her terms.

You can socialize the heck out of her but at the end of the day her genetics are what they are. It's more about managing than fixing.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

In the link I poste see the thread on "Who pets my Puppy or Dog" that's your answer.

Maybe the puppy classes are not for her?? Or she needs to be surrounded by more balanced puppies and fewer dominant ones?

If you have a friend that has a friendly balanced dog that could help also. No dog parks or "I though my dog was friendly folks" just don't!

Fearful dog blog is there also pretty much the "Who Pets my Puppy or Dog" advise. Time and patience
and or a different trainer and class.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunoLUV View Post
Hi all,

We decided to add a puppy to our family. We currently have a 3.5 yr old gsd. We rescued a 14 wk gsd from a bad situation/ puppy mill. No socializing appears to have happened.

My question is that she is scared of everything and she lunges and growl at all dogs even thing she doesn't know... i.e. a bird, what are my best actions to take? I'm looking for advice from anyone that has had experience this before.

After one week she is already getting along with my boy now. But anything new she gets too stressed and scared and acts out with barking and growling. We had our first puppy class today, but she was so stressed all she did was bark/ growl at the other puppies. She has no drive for food or toys. How long should I give her or is this something I will have to fight for awhile.

What do I do???

Thanks for any advice.

Hey! You have basically describe my first few months with Anna, I thought something was wrong with her....I thought she was crazy, I questioned talking her back to the breeder- I went through 4 trainers. She cried nonstop for the first 2 weeks I owned her, she growled and barked and screamed at every person/dog who passed us. I tried the throwing her in to other dogs and other people/situations thing (bad idea)

I'm here to tell you if you can be patient it will pass. Anna is 7 months old now, she's great with all people, kids strollers bicycles, heck rabbits can run by with no problems, is still about 50/50 with dogs she doesn't know, but 50/50 is way better then her trying to rip apart every dog she sees.

You need to wait until you form a very trusting bond with your pup, it isn't there with you yet. Your dog needs to trust that YOU will protect it in a situation where it is uncomfortable. That is your job. So be patient, allow your pup to see new things but at a safe distance and forget the puppy class for now

Help!! Socialization Questions?-imageuploadedbypg-free1396997898.751147.jpg
I'm in the grey hoodie, Anna is directly in front of me... It is possible for your dog to be normal, it starts with you

Help!! Socialization Questions?-imageuploadedbypg-free1396997961.241646.jpg
(Anna is the purple leashed dog)

Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
What do I do???
Don't worry much, your patience and visual confidence will pay back greatly, stress doesn't go away so quickly.
As you are her foster parent, show her with your own behaviour that nothing really happens around, ignore her behaviour. She may cry and growl only because you try to calm her down. Feed treats wherever she shows courage. Feed treats together with other dog in one closed room (you may teether and leave your new puppy off leash) one at a time using two hands, thus showing her that the other dog is a member of the pack. The puppy should come to you herself, don't call her.
Quote:
But anything new she gets too stressed and scared and acts out with barking and growling.
That is a result of a long term isolation. It will go away gradually, but, to what extent - difficult to say.

Last edited by David Taggart; 04-08-2014 at 07:57 PM.
David Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.