Puppy was too nervous to pee outside??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy was too nervous to pee outside???

Here's typically the start to our day.
5:30- Wake up and go out to pee (the little guy is already sleeping through the night so in the a.m. he has to go a lot.
5:45- Back in the house to eat while I get ready for work. Once he's done eating he quietly waits on me.
6:00- Back outside to poop. Once he's done we go right back inside to play for a bit or train.
6:15- Back in the kennel to sleep for another hour until my wife wakes up. He goes back to sleep too.

He has been doing great on this schedule so far but this morning was very weird.

5:30- Went out to pee and on the way down the stairs, started shaking and pouting like normal because he really really has to go.
5:31- Step outside and he won't move. Didn't even want to walk out the door but I got him to. He then sat at the door even though I tried to bring him over to the grass and said, "go potty." (he knows this "command")
-He just sits there for several minutes with a very strange/slightly scared posture. There aren't any other dogs out, it wasn't raining, etc. It is a pretty humid day and we are expecting bad weather tomorrow but he's experienced a storm before. The only thing I can think of is he is afraid of the swing in temperature/barometric pressure, but that shouldn't stop him from peeing.
5:35- All he wants to do is go back in the house so I bring him in to carry on with our day. We'll he finishes eating just before I finish changing then cries for a sec. I tell him I'm coming and 15 seconds later I walk in and for lack of a better term there is a sea of pee all over the kitchen. I don't mean he went then tracked it. I mean it looked like he peed for 30-40 seconds while walking all over the kitchen. He obviously couldn't hold it any longer and didn't know what to do so started walking. After cleaning it up (unfortunately he watched me clean it because he was covered in it so I didn't want him to leave the tile of the kitchen. I know you aren't supposed to but whatever, he looked like he felt sorry the whole time) we went back outside to poo. Again he wouldn't leave the door. He was just very very weird. I stood outside and kept putting him back on the grass/dirt until he pooped a little. Then he wanted to go right back into the house.

It was strange... any ideas?
Drew Orleans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wife just took him out. She waited on him for 20 minutes. He cried to go out and pee. Finally left the door this time but would only eat leaves and bark. Didn't pee like he normally does.

Last edited by Drew Orleans; 04-02-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have him checked for a UTI

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

You think that's why he was afraid to go outside?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Are you going outside with him, walking him to where you want him to go?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah.

Very patient too.

I wonder if he has a UTI and is afraid to go because it hurts? Doesn't explain why he would walk away from the door though.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

When we first got our pup home the first night, we took her in the front yard and she didn't want to go. It might have been too many things outside. In the morning, we let her out in the backyard and it was A-OK. After she got situated, she could pee in any yard.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Orleans View Post
You think that's why he was afraid to go outside?
Itís more the fact it wasnít a one time thing that has me hesitating. If something spooked him once then I could see him avoiding going outside even when he really had to pee, but bouncing back the next time as the thing that spooked him probably has passed. You can try walking outside with him and see if he calms by your presence, inspect everything and see if you can notice something obvious which may freak him out or hurt him.

With a UTI it's painful so he would avoid the action. If he sees going outside and knowing his duty is to do his business and he knows it'll hurt he'll react adversely to going outside. If heíll still hesitating after youíve ruled out something environmental than I would look at physical causes

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well ****. He just peed in the house in the middle of playing.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

He was weird when I crought him out the 2nd time to poo.

But 2 hours later was walking around normal when my wife brought him out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.