dog wont go for walks anymore - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default dog wont go for walks anymore

So my 6month gsd went for walks well with a choke collar and e collar before. Now we decided to go all positive training. She mauled me on a regular harness while walking but new trainer suggested the "gentel leader" (head harness) to control her when she starts maulling. She stopped mauling while walking and I give her high value treats and all has been well for a few weeks. Now all the sudden I walk her and when we get one house away she stops and wont continue. If I try a treat to get her to go she lays down and wont move until I head home. I dont understand what is going on. She needs the exercise. As soon as I head home she will follow. There are a lot of dogs in the neighborhood so she hears them in their houses barking but it never seemed to bother her before so I cant say thats the problem. She does the same when I try to get her to go in her crate. She is getting too smart. How do I get her moving?
Jlmaiorana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What exactly do you mean my mauling.... ?

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Jump up and starts to attack my arm and wont let go like in shutzhund.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm going to describe what my puppy was like, it seems similar to yours in some ways. This is how he was, now he is fine and enjoys walks.

so he would cry and whine as soon as we started up the drive way, and when we were moving a few houses down he would stop and sit or lay down. at first I thought he was tired but if I started moving back to the house he would get up and lead the way. also, if he saw a car or people in either direction he would suddenly want to get moving again. I used to give in but he would then have so much energy at the house I started deciding I would make him walk since I knew it wasn't because he was tired.

so the first thing I tried was walking ahead where I wanted to go, and if he lay down I would walk until the leash was extended and wait with my back to him. this was pretty effective I have to say, he hated being ignored and he would run over to me. so it was kind of start stop start stop start stop but the stops got less and less and then he stopped the silliness altogether.

sometimes these days he'll plop down and want to roll in grass or flowers or chew on a stick, which is fine but when he starts spending a long time with me standing there I just start applying more and more pressure on his leash. I didn't want to apply this pressure to his neck so I got him a body harness. that way I can pretty much lift him to his feet on the occasions when he ignores a moderate pull.

so I definitely get you about a dog having no energy one way, and a bundle of energy going back home. your dog is older and may not care if you turn your back but I would try that first. if she doesn't care if you stand with your back to her for long times then get a harness and simply pick her up and pull her a little. don't pull if she's only wearing a neck collar.

my guy is 1000% better than he was a few weeks ago and now positively loves going for walks.

also, definitely check out what more experienced GS owners post
Old 04-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Try a prong collar, with harnesses you have no control. The prong should be fitted high on the neck, below the ears and the non-prong area should be positioned at the trachea. Or try a regular flat collar with a muzzle.

Some dogs also go through a fear period and some just prefer being at home. I would drive your dog to a new areas and walk around there.

It sounds like your dog has not had fun experiences walking (choke collar and e collar), I know you are trying to be more positive, but do you let your dog stop and smell, let it enjoy the walk a bit? Are you relaxed or tense?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Method 1:

Old 04-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have her on a gentle leader harness which hooks in the front with a leash and the head harness with another leash because im afraid of losing her with just the head harness until I can trust that the head harness is reliable by itself in case we run into some extreme situation. Ive tried coaxing her with cheese chicken brunsweiger training treats beggin strips etc. No luck. I tried walking ahead to the end of the leash wont budge. I tried picking her up off to standing position and she lays back down. I cant bring a ball because she will just want to play and we wont get anywhere. Im out of ideas.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlmaiorana View Post
I have her on a gentle leader harness which hooks in the front with a leash and the head harness with another leash because im afraid of losing her with just the head harness until I can trust that the head harness is reliable by itself in case we run into some extreme situation. Ive tried coaxing her with cheese chicken brunsweiger training treats beggin strips etc. No luck. I tried walking ahead to the end of the leash wont budge. I tried picking her up off to standing position and she lays back down. I cant bring a ball because she will just want to play and we wont get anywhere. Im out of ideas.
Sounds like the ball might be a good bait. Just hold it in your hand where she can see it, if she's that focused on it, she may continue on the walk thinking she's about to play. Then reward her periodically with a short toss when possible. It'll at least make walks more fun for her.

Glad to hear you've gotten the mauling under control.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Apselbear thats really funny! Lol lol lol
Old 04-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Gretchen gave some good advice. when Tiger was going through his not-want-to-walk phase sometimes I just drove him to the park and he was all game for walking there.

I guess when they know home is close sometimes they just want to get back there. at the park he had no idea where home was so he forgot about it and enjoyed the experience (I'm guessing).
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.