German Shepherds Forum banner

Potty trainin vent...

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  AnzacFromNZ 
#1 ·
My sweet, smart, obedient, almost potty trained boy has gone right back to bad habits. I'm SO frustrated!

Every time I turn around, there's pee, poo, or both!! He was getting SO good at this! now all of a sudden I don't have enough clean-dirty towels to keep up with him. My only salvation is that this is all happening on hard floors and one cheap rug meant to be tossed and replaced every-so-often.

I'm just so peeved!!! Every time we get to the point of starting to have him hold it instead of me jumping up to bring him out every five minutes, just b/c he thinks it's fun, he starts going on the floors at will. It's infuriating! I'm not so much angry with him as I am with the situation.

I'm overloaded right now and every time I get a little ahead, there's some pee or poo to clean up. :eek: :mad: Plus I let him run in the yard this morning and it had rained last night so he came in filthy and I had to clean that up, dry him off, clean his feet, rub him down, and he's still dirty but it's dry so whatever.

I know what I have to do... :cool: I'm going to have to tether him to me and crate him when I can't watch him. This is another overwhelming prospect. I have no idea if I have enough in me to handle all of this, but we'll find out, right? Poor guy may have to spend a lot more time in the crate until I can get some relief with all of the 'life' things that are overwhelming me right now.

Anyone been through this? Did it get better? How? When? Share your stories with me :)

See less See more
#2 ·
How often is he going to the bathroom in the house? mightneed a vet check if it's really often.

Honestly you just need to supervise more and yes if you can't watch, tire him out and then crate him for a little bit.

I think only one time in the whole time I had my puppy she finished peeing before I was scooping her up. Hyper-awareness, catching it EVERY TIME makes potty training a million times easier because it's consistent

#6 ·
I'm really not one of those people who doesn't pay attention and then can't understand what went wrong. I really do wish I had nothing more to do than hover over him all day so I can scoop him up when he starts to pee. If only to have that kind of time and my house clean itself, my child raise herself, the dishes do themselves, my studying accomplished via osmosis... what a life!

Sorry you got the impression that I'm not vigilant enough to accomplish potty training. Some dogs are more difficult than others. This one is more difficult. It's not b/c I'm ignorant or lazy.

#3 ·
The newest pup took a good long time to house train. I THINK we've made it now. (at 6 mos.) I was sure we had it under control a while back -- then I discovered multiple spots in one room. (Hardwood fortunately and well finished). I was convinced she was stupidist dog ever when this was coupled with a lack of engagement. Fortunately, both things seem to be changed for the better. I hope I haven't jinxed this by talking about it!!!

#7 ·
The newest pup took a good long time to house train. I THINK we've made it now. (at 6 mos.) I was sure we had it under control a while back -- then I discovered multiple spots in one room. (Hardwood fortunately and well finished). I was convinced she was stupidist dog ever when this was coupled with a lack of engagement. Fortunately, both things seem to be changed for the better. I hope I haven't jinxed this by talking about it!!!
That's almost exactly what happened here! I thought he had it down, then he just started going on the floor all over again.

#4 ·
We never crate trained our girl (planned to, bought a crate, but then it just didn't happen) but used pee-mats. We were told not to by her breeder, she said we'd just have to house train her all over again, but we found it helped us personally. I'd take her out consistently during the day (mind you, I work in a school and was on summer holidays so I had the time) but she'd have free reign of the bedroom at night so we'd have pee mats on the floor and eventually she just started waking me up (putting her paws up on my side of the bed and puffing in my face) when she needed to go out to pee instead of using the mats. After a week or so had gone by and the mats stayed clean, we removed them and she hasn't had an incident in the bedroom since. She still wakes me once a night around 2am to go to the toilet. She's had two accidents, both near our front door, since we removed the mats from the house completely. Both times we'd gone out and forgotten to take her out to do her business before we left.

Anyway, that was our experience :) and she definitely wasn't one of those puppies who are great with holding on. We originally got the pee mats to save our sanity, as even with me constantly there to take her out she still peed and pooped all over the house. Somewhere along the line something just clicked. She is still young though, so she could revert back like yours has. Time will tell, but thought I'd share as someone who didn't crate train, though I am sure it would have made things a bit easier/cleaner! pee mats also don't work the way they did for us for everyone, as my breeder still says we shouldn't have used them.

#8 ·
We never crate trained our girl (planned to, bought a crate, but then it just didn't happen) but used pee-mats. We were told not to by her breeder, she said we'd just have to house train her all over again, but we found it helped us personally. I'd take her out consistently during the day (mind you, I work in a school and was on summer holidays so I had the time) but she'd have free reign of the bedroom at night so we'd have pee mats on the floor and eventually she just started waking me up (putting her paws up on my side of the bed and puffing in my face) when she needed to go out to pee instead of using the mats. After a week or so had gone by and the mats stayed clean, we removed them and she hasn't had an incident in the bedroom since. She still wakes me once a night around 2am to go to the toilet. She's had two accidents, both near our front door, since we removed the mats from the house completely. Both times we'd gone out and forgotten to take her out to do her business before we left.

Anyway, that was our experience :) and she definitely wasn't one of those puppies who are great with holding on. We originally got the pee mats to save our sanity, as even with me constantly there to take her out she still peed and pooped all over the house. Somewhere along the line something just clicked. She is still young though, so she could revert back like yours has. Time will tell, but thought I'd share as someone who didn't crate train, though I am sure it would have made things a bit easier/cleaner! pee mats also don't work the way they did for us for everyone, as my breeder still says we shouldn't have used them.
If pads worked for you, then that was the right thing for your dog and for you :) My Chi thinks those are for laying on, lol! Nonny wouldn't use them, he would go wherever they weren't. I tried that when he was a young pup so that he could be out of the kennel at night. It was funny, I had those things all over the bedroom! Then he's pee elsewhere. Kenneling worked for me. He sleeps in a kennel two feet from my bed where he can see me, and the other dog is in one right next to that.

#5 ·
I hope something clicks with Nonny soon too :) I know it will, eventually. He's very smart and super-eager to please and very trainable. This stage is just so frustrating.
I've tethered him off and on over the last few days and that has worked to keep him from doing it.

I'm just not used to a dog that poops and pees so much! My other dog was/is raw fed, and never had to pee or poo so often. Once or twice a day for poops, and 3-5 times a day for pee. That's it. Not all this 10x a day peeing and 5 or 6 poops in a day! I really wish I could get Nonny adjusted to raw. His stomach appears to be too sensitive. I've tried, and he just gets the runs and they don't stop. Now that he's putting weight on, maybe I can try again over the summer.

Thanks for all of your encouragement :)

#9 ·
Thanks for the post! Exactly what I came on to read. We have a boy that's coming up 4 months. He was all but trained, so we thought. no accidents in house for 3 straight weeks then all of a sudden peeing and pooing inside at least once a day. This has helped though, I thought maybe we were doing something wrong. He's pooing about 5 times a day and peeing countless (maybe a dozen). May try and switch him to a raw diet so he doesn't go as much. He is crate trained so over night he has a sleeping crate by our bed which he has never soiled in and during the day when we work he has another crate which is bigger, he has gone in there a couple times as well but I think that comes down to size of the crate. Hopefully we can get him back on track but will keep an eye on this post. Thanks again :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.