Need to train to avoid other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need to train to avoid other dogs

Hi.

This may sound or be directly opposite of most others sentiments towards other dogs, but there is a good reason here.

We adopted a 9-12 mo. old GSD from our local shelter. She is a great dog, not aggressive at all and taking to basic training like a duck to water. If I use a short leash (~4ft.), our walks are enjoyable and a lot of fun. My problem is other dogs along the way and her attention span. She is too interested in the other dogs, to the point where her sole focus becomes them and again she is not aggressive. She wants to play. The problem is that these other dogs are very aggressive and I am unintentionally being drawn into a one-sided dog fight where (I'm afraid) she is going to loose badly.

How do I instill an aversion to wanting to play with other dogs? I want to have an aloof German Shepherd when it comes to any other generic dog out there. What I have now is a GSD who goes bonkers when she sees another dog, and wants to play with them. How do I get from point A to B in the training?

-Lita's Owner
Lita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

the best way would be to get involved with formal obedience training. With both our trainers we practiced ignoring other dogs in large group classes. Everyone would practice weaving in and out of the other dogs while the owners had them on a "down" or "sit".

For now I would bring a high value treat (food or toy) and have your dog start focusing on that when you see other dogs in the distance. Teach your dog to focus on you, my daughter would hold a treat right at her eye/forehead so the dog would learn to look at us.

Since your dog wants to play, see if you can find any meetup hiking groups or clubs so your dog will have well behaved dogs to play with.

For the aggressive dogs I'd get between them and your dog and you may want to look into getting some kind of spray, like citronella. When you see them you can also just turn and walk away.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita View Post
Hi.

This may sound or be directly opposite of most others sentiments towards other dogs, but there is a good reason here.

We adopted a 9-12 mo. old GSD from our local shelter. She is a great dog, not aggressive at all and taking to basic training like a duck to water. If I use a short leash (~4ft.), our walks are enjoyable and a lot of fun. My problem is other dogs along the way and her attention span. She is too interested in the other dogs, to the point where her sole focus becomes them and again she is not aggressive. She wants to play. The problem is that these other dogs are very aggressive and I am unintentionally being drawn into a one-sided dog fight where (I'm afraid) she is going to loose badly.

How do I instill an aversion to wanting to play with other dogs? I want to have an aloof German Shepherd when it comes to any other generic dog out there. What I have now is a GSD who goes bonkers when she sees another dog, and wants to play with them. How do I get from point A to B in the training?

-Lita's Owner
First this:
What to do if another dog attacks your while on leash

Second many here here don't screw around with "I thought my dog was friendly folks" or Dog parks. We teach our dogs to ignore other dogs. Don't need the hassle of behavioural problems created by "outside" influences!

Couple links:

Leerburg | Dog Parks: Why They Are A Bad Idea

How I train:
Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog
And this if needed:

Last edited by Chip18; 03-28-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Teaching our dogs when it's ok to meet/greet/play with other dogs is just a trained behavior. And you don't want to actually think of it as an 'aversion' to other dogs. Because you do NOT want your dog to unintentionally start to fear other dogs.

Ignoring them to focus on you is just training. Along with meeting and greeting other dogs appropriately. If your dog never LEARNS 'dog' behavior around other dogs that is a huge issue. If you ever want to get another dog. If you ever have any friend/relative visit with a dog. If you ever 'dog sit' a friends dog so they do the same when you go on vacation...

Just find some great dog classes where this is part of the normal class.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Because you do NOT want your dog to unintentionally start to fear other dogs.
No objection to your results or conclusions. But the above is a alien concept to me? I taught my dogs to ignore other dogs, no dog parks "no I thought my dog was friendly folks."

Even still I brought three strays (well trained and balanced dogs it turned out into my home.) My two and those three had a great time!

My guys had never played with a "strange" dog in there whole lives 5 yrs and 7 years. So not sure where "dog fearing" concept comes from?
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.